Turn Signals?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Turn Signals? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; A question about the turn signal indicators. I do not have the owner's manual (yet) so I am asking here. ...
    Ieradi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Allante

Turn Signals?

A question about the turn signal indicators.

I do not have the owner's manual (yet) so I am asking here. When I put on the turn signal, left or right, the indicator looks like <-> this. This is more like the symbol for 4 ways or flashers. I checked all the bulbs and they appear to be working. One side side light indicator is out though.

Is this normal operation?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Re: Turn Signals?

I believe it is normal for some European vehicles. I had VWs in the 70s and 80s that did the same thing. When my son drove the car, he also questioned it.

danstarley is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Allante Phase I

Yes, that is the normal indicator. The Allante only has one indicator, for both left and right turns. They cheaped out on that, but at least we got those classy chimes!

wcoates is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1989 Red Allante,

I have signal that goes each way as a normal car. I believe that has to do with the phase one car. My buddy Scott Flack who also had a '89 was made aware of the situation you described after be bought his '92. If I remember correctly Dick Hussey explained it as part of adding the airbag in 1990 and needing a connection. Doubled up on the turn signals and used the free spot for the needed airbag connection.

See that you three gentlemen all have cars 1990 or newer.

Quote Originally Posted by danstarley View Post
    Yes, that is the normal indicator. The Allante only has one indicator, for both left and right turns. They cheaped out on that, but at least we got those classy chimes!
    Ahhh yes! Thanks for the answer. Can't wait for the owners manual to arrive so I can figure most of this stuff out!!!

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

WCOATS is correct. My 88 worked with 2 indicators, whereas my 91 does not. They used that space in the cluster to add the red "airbag" bulb.

Stealth is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Is one enough ?

DITTO ...

Phase I Allantes have left / right indicators

Phase II & III do not and use the emergency indicator whether you are signaling left or right.

That is the 2nd drawback over the Phase-I cars that I spot on the Phase II cars. This one is minor.

Nothing to do with cheapening but a conflict of sorts with the design of the new circuits in the cluster involving the air bags.

wcoates is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1989 Red Allante,

Makes me wonder how many folks took their new $60,000 toy back to the service dept. for the "fix!". Can only imagine the responses !

Onalaska is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 1SF, 1990 Allante, 2006 XLR-V

Kind of a surprise when I bought my 1990. With all the lighting technology in the design of the car that they couldn't have provided seperate turn signal indicators on the dash.

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post

Phase II & III do not and use the emergency indicator whether you are signaling left or right.
    Interesting point. As I mentioned earlier, I just figured it was an "European thing."

People criticize the Allante dashboard. Maybe it's just my age, but I think it's cool, especially the center stack with a zillion black buttons canted toward the driver. I always have something to fiddle with. I'm not crazy about the yellow, electronic tach and speedometer, but I do appreciate the digital speed readout.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    DITTO ...

That is the 2nd drawback over the Phase-I cars that I spot on the Phase II cars. This one is minor.

Nothing to do with cheapening but a conflict of sorts with the design of the new circuits in the cluster involving the air bags.

So for my own clarification, is this a Phase difference or a year difference? Is it true that not all 1990'S are Phase I or Phase II? I thought from everything I read that the Phase II came with the 1990 1/2 vehicles?

Stealth is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Is one enough ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ieradi View Post
    So for my own clarification, is this a Phase difference or a year difference? Is it true that not all 1990'S are Phase I or Phase II? I thought from everything I read that the Phase II came with the 1990 1/2 vehicles?
    Quote Originally Posted by carnut View Post

They used that space in the cluster to add the red "airbag" bulb.
    That be correct, 1990 1/2 was the demarcation point. Easiest way to identify a Phase-II is by checking the latches for the tops.

The problem is that ALL 1990's have airbags and I assume the turn signal thing is on all 1990 cars. So in effect, the turn signal thing is a Phase-II plus a few Phase-I cars in 1990.

I got a thread called Allante XYZ Facts somewhere, do a google and take a look at it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.