It wouldn't shut off!!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, It wouldn't shut off!!!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Yeah, so I pull into the driveway and knew the ignition mechanism felt a little funny when I had started ...
    Ieradi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Allante

It wouldn't shut off!!!!

Yeah, so I pull into the driveway and knew the ignition mechanism felt a little funny when I had started the car 15 minutes before. I pull in, turn the ignition to the OFF position, pull out the key, and the car is STILL running !!! WHAT!! So, since this car is a new acquisition, I checked online (of course I have no manual) and find the appropriate fuse to shut down the ignition.

And there you have it...thus begins the money trail. But the car is overall in awesome condition in, out, and under the hood. Pearl White, maroon interior, black top. 81,500 miles and all original.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Stealth is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Is one enough ?

Re: It wouldn't shut off!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ieradi View Post
    Yeah, so I pull into the driveway and knew the ignition mechanism felt a little funny when I had started the car 15 minutes before. I pull in, turn the ignition to the OFF position, pull out the key, and the car is STILL running !!! WHAT!! So, since this car is a new acquisition, I checked online (of course I have no manual) and find the appropriate fuse to shut down the ignition.

And there you have it...thus begins the money trail. But the car is overall in awesome condition in, out, and under the hood. Pearl White, maroon interior, black top. 81,500 miles and all original.
    mechanism felt funny? like dragging, or jamming a bit?

most likely, ignition rack broke ..
    cost about $250 by locksmith on location, less if you bring the car in,
    or $600 by dealer.

but

if you have AAA, they will cover the 1st $100 IF done by a locksmith, nothing if done by dealer.

I been through three such incidents on other cars. when I asked the locksmith why they do that, i was told the TILTING of the steering put a lot of stress and some people literally abuse the system by pulling on the steering wheel release and allowing the steering wheel to freely jump and bounce against the stops.

to avoid future damage, dont do that. use the tilt softly, hold the steering wheel so it doesnt bang around.
    at least it got you home .. mine has always been on "it wont start" mode.

lol

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Welcome to the obsession. Your car was telling you, in it's own little way, that 15 minutes is NOT a long enough drive.

Quote Originally Posted by c5 rv View Post
    Welcome to the obsession. Your car was telling you, in it's own little way, that 15 minutes is NOT a long enough drive.
    or maybe its home sick and wanted to stay running to return to its old home.

Cool Re: It wouldn't shut off!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    mechanism felt funny? like dragging, or jamming a bit?

most likely, ignition rack broke ..
    cost about $250 by locksmith on location, less if you bring the car in,
    or $600 by dealer.

but

if you have AAA, they will cover the 1st $100 IF done by a locksmith, nothing if done by dealer.

I been through three such incidents on other cars. when I asked the locksmith why they do that, i was told the TILTING of the steering put a lot of stress and some people literally abuse the system by pulling on the steering wheel release and allowing the steering wheel to freely jump and bounce against the stops.

to avoid future damage, dont do that. use the tilt softly, hold the steering wheel so it doesnt bang around.
    at least it got you home .. mine has always been on "it wont start" mode.

lol
    Thanks for the info...it did feel like it ws jamming a bit just before the incident. I had it towed (AAA) to a garage since I wasn't sure.

Will the steering wheel and column need to be removed etc. to get to that part?

I am careful when tilting etc...not sure the previous owner was though.

I am finding the forum useful for just such tips!!

Thanks for the info...it did feel like it ws jamming a bit just before the incident. I had it towed (AAA) to a garage since I wasn't sure.

Will the steering wheel and column need to be removed etc. to get to that part?

I am careful when tilting etc...not sure the previous owner was though.

I am finding the forum useful for just such tips!!

I do not suggest that a mechanic does the job. Let the locksmith do it.
    yes, he has to remove the steering wheel and airbag but not the column.

for one thing, AAA will NOT reimburse for mechanic plus the locksmith does this all day long, 24/7 .. meaning, you got a better chance of getting done right.

as great as we may be in this site, you need to pick up the phone and talk to a locksmith .. they will make an assessment over the phone, before they even come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    I do not suggest that a mechanic does the job. Let the locksmith do it.
    yes, he has to remove the steering wheel and airbag but not the column.

for one thing, AAA will NOT reimburse for mechanic plus the locksmith does this all day long, 24/7 .. meaning, you got a better chance of getting done right.

as great as we may be in this site, you need to pick up the phone and talk to a locksmith .. they will make an assessment over the phone, before they even come out.

Got it...thanks. Will do in the AM when I call the shop and keep you posted.

Thanks Again!!!

Got it...thanks. Will do in the AM when I call the shop and keep you posted.

Thanks Again!!!
    Turns out it was in fact the Ignition Rack. The garage called their locksmith, who was on vacation, and insetad had a mechanic install the part and knocked off $100 or not using the AAA locksmith.

Starts like a champ!

Thanks for the advice!

Turns out it was in fact the Ignition Rack. The garage called their locksmith, who was on vacation, and insetad had a mechanic install the part and knocked off $100 or not using the AAA locksmith.

Starts like a champ!

Thanks for the advice!
    Glad you got it done.
    BTW, AAA locksmiths will come 24/7 anywhere.

Did I earn a couple of beers ?

Most Definitely! Especially since I did not know AAA reimbursed and got the garage to knock off $100. I just got AAA a few months ago since it was a deal. My GF has a 2001 SAAB convertible and she travels so I thought it was worth it.

Thanks Again!!!

Most Definitely! Especially since I did not know AAA reimbursed and got the garage to knock off $100. I just got AAA a few months ago since it was a deal. My GF has a 2001 SAAB convertible and she travels so I thought it was worth it.

Thanks Again!!!

take the receipt to AAA and ask them for reimbursement for key device repair.

they may well give you $100 reimbursment. you got nothing to lose and $100 to win.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.