Buying a '87 or '88
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Buying a '87 or '88 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm looking for the pearl white car. ( No hurry-a year and a half hunt will be ok.) Swore I'd ...
    wcoates is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1989 Red Allante,

Buying a '87 or '88

I'm looking for the pearl white car. ( No hurry-a year and a half hunt will be ok.) Swore I'd never buy an '87 or '88 'cause the 4.1 scared me. Don't really know why! There are many of these cars showing up within driving distance.

Many of you own them and seem extremely pleased with them. Please give me your thoughts on year to buy. as I said, I don't have a time line as I'd like to turn in my leased vehicle and have two Allante's that I own. One with a hard top that is a daily driver (year round in Ohio) and one that will never see the top up/on. Currently have a '89 with 69k on the clock as the starting point. Looking for thoughts from owners of all years. Can an Allante really be a daily driver in Ohio?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Re: Buying a '87 or '88

What, things have been slow around here so you want to poke Stealth?

First, define (at least for yourself) what your daily driver requirements are. Since you are currently in a lease car, I assume that the mileage is not excessive. If your daily driver is down for a few days, do you have alternative transportation you can use (even in foul weather) or ways to avoid driving? It may be something as simple as a few hundred $$ stashed for emergency rental car use. There are people driving much worse POS vehicles that manage to get to-and-from work everyday. There's no reason you couldn't use an Allante as a DD. Plus, you have a leg up since you already own one and have some understanding of the beast. As for using it as a DD in Ohio, my wife used to drive a 92 Miata for a DD. Every fall I'd put the hardtop on, add 100 lbs. of weight to the trunk, and put on a set of Pirelli snow tires. As long as the snow wasn't too deep, that car always got through.

In my situation, my changeable commute is the defining factor. My current commute is about 100 miles/day, but could range from 50-130 miles/day if I change assignments. Annual total driving mileage can range from 16-35K miles per year, usually in the mid-upper 20K range. I'm currently driving two lease cars plus the Allante strictly on weekends while I sort out the issues. Over the next 20 months, the leases will end and I'll buy a single primary daily driver, probably Cadillac or Lincoln CPO. The plan is to use my Allante as a 2nd daily driver plus weekend car. I'll target 5-10K miles per year, probably toward the lower end of that. If the Allante turns out to be unreliable, I'll probably replace it with something small, like a 2010 Mazda3, that I would use more for commuting.

Stealth is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Is one enough ?

Quote Originally Posted by wcoates View Post
    I'm looking for the pearl white car. ( No hurry-a year and a half hunt will be ok.) Swore I'd never buy an '87 or '88 'cause the 4.1 scared me. Don't really know why! There are many of these cars showing up within driving distance.

Many of you own them and seem extremely pleased with them. Please give me your thoughts on year to buy. as I said, I don't have a time line as I'd like to turn in my leased vehicle and have two Allante's that I own. One with a hard top that is a daily driver (year round in Ohio) and one that will never see the top up/on. Currently have a '89 with 69k on the clock as the starting point. Looking for thoughts from owners of all years. Can an Allante really be a daily driver in Ohio?

Only in your dreams !

Well the money is on an airplane and tomorrow baring any unforeseen circumstances she'll be my new phase two pearl white. she's in California and I'm in Ohio. Sort of like adopting. Can't wait to see her!

Seriously, Stealth was an unbelievable help, being my eyes and ears in California. I owe you big time! Some of you know I've owned Vettes over the years but never was helped like those of you in the Caddy Community. It's been fun.

Son wants us to fly out and drive back. Bad news is he can't do it 'til Sept 20th. anybody up for a Road trip?

Thanks again Zal for all your help!

Stealth is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Is one enough ?

wait till then .. weather will be better for driving top down for 1,700 miles.

it will give you extra time to check it out for the trip, and replace a couple parts that are needed.

ps .. take spare RAD hoses, serpentine belt, ABS relay, wipers .. they arent exactly easy to find on the road. everything else, you can duct tape if needed.

you got the 1,000 mile tow program with AAA, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    hey, how is the O.C. Pearl coming along?
    Zal,

moved your question here with a cut and paste as it seems to fit here better than in the "color thread", hope you don't mind.

Ok how is the Orange County Pearl coming along? Actually at the present time it isn't. Have been advised by legal counsel ( knew I sent daughter to law school for some reason ) to keep car there until we get a problem worked out. Won't say much until it is resolved. For those that don't know, Zal was a huge help with the owner in sorting out the mechanics before purchase. Had an acquaintance look at car who reported on body and general care. Should have had items covered right? WRONG! will report again after resolution but suffice it to say, I violated a rule of going to the car with money in pocket. Two previous Ebay purchased cars worked well. This one didn't but still can hopefully worked out. car in California with convertible days decreasing in Ohio makes this a bummer.

Will advise again after conclusion..... Advice on buying a car 2000 miles away sight unseen. DON'T!!!!!!

How did you make out with your Houston Seller? Ran across a '92 Black Johnny Lighting still in original package. Get me a PM with an address and it's yours.

Ieradi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Allante

Zal,

moved your question here with a cut and paste as it seems to fit here better than in the "color thread", hope you don't mind.

Ok how is the Orange County Pearl coming along? Actually at the present time it isn't. Have been advised by legal counsel ( knew I sent daughter to law school for some reason ) to keep car there until we get a problem worked out. Won't say much until it is resolved. For those that don't know, Zal was a huge help with the owner in sorting out the mechanics before purchase. Had an acquaintance look at car who reported on body and general care. Should have had items covered right? WRONG! will report again after resolution but suffice it to say, I violated a rule of going to the car with money in pocket. Two previous Ebay purchased cars worked well. This one didn't but still can hopefully worked out. car in California with convertible days decreasing in Ohio makes this a bummer.

Will advise again after conclusion..... Advice on buying a car 2000 miles away sight unseen. DON'T!!!!!!

How did you make out with your Houston Seller? Ran across a '92 Black Johnny Lighting still in original package. Get me a PM with an address and it's yours.
    I'm flying out on the 5th to Southern Cal / Corona - Orange Area. I'll gladly take a in-person peek if wanted.

I purchased my 90 Pearl White sight-unseen while I was in CA in August and the car was 2.400 miles away in PA. It worked Ok, but then again I did tell the E Bay seller I would NOT take possession unless it was exactly as described.

Thanks Tony for the offer. Mileage issue is the discrepancy in my situation. Car has mechanical issues that I am aware of and can live with. People whom I trust have visually looked an the car and advised that it appeared to have been well cared for and mileage discrepancy which shouldn't normally be a deal breaker, wouldn't allow me to drive it the 4 anticipated years and sell with less than XXXX number of miles. Owners attitude was less than stellar. Some times principles are expensive.

Appreciate your offer and hope to be able to reciprocate in the future. 3 Ebay auto purchases and this still might turn out well but I'll revert to prior practice of not buying w/o a personal inspection.

Thanks Tony for the offer. Mileage issue is the discrepancy in my situation. Car has mechanical issues that I am aware of and can live with. People whom I trust have visually looked an the car and advised that it appeared to have been well cared for and mileage discrepancy which shouldn't normally be a deal breaker, wouldn't allow me to drive it the 4 anticipated years and sell with less than XXXX number of miles. Owners attitude was less than stellar. Some times principles are expensive.

Appreciate your offer and hope to be able to reciprocate in the future. 3 Ebay auto purchases and this still might turn out well but I'll revert to prior practice of not buying w/o a personal inspection.
    No problem...good luck and I'm sure you'll keep us posted.

Anybody that buys an Allante across the country sight unseen is a ..............( you fill in the blanks)

Car has arrived. Car was not really driven for over a year and we all know what that means!

Still beginning to love her but want to get physically sick each time I look at the damage the car hauler did. (sat over the cab and he caught the passenger fender in blind spot). Damn near makes me sick to look at her! Might just have to be parted out!

OR, She is probably in the cave on jack stands 'til spring. She will be a lady when she comes out! Have named her Eliza (Doolittle).

Never ever buy w/o a personal inspection.

deceit, small claims court and then hauler damage-I hope means the worst is behind.

Allantesource is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Replacing a fender is not that difficult and there are plenty around. The only issue with that will be having a reasonable color match on a pearl white car. That can be tough.

thanks for the supporting comments Dick! That my new Allante friends is why Dick is the most valuable of all Allante owner assets (you're a close 2-3 Zal).

Never really thought of that Dick, you would recommend replacement opposed to repair.

More advise and counsel Dick if you don't mind. Was going to fix and paint new fender, and have door dings repaired and painted from xxxxxx (is there a good break point? ) Does it make any sense to partially paint vs. a new paint job.

Jury still out on fix vs. part. $3500 currently in car with transportation from the left coast. 100,000k on the clock,replaced seals that were leaking badly. Looks like a new MC will be needed. top good. Seems strong but as previously reported was owned by a late 70) plus owner and it sat longer than I was lead to believe. interior good (but filthy)

Door motor and trunk pull down don't work but those parts are on the shelf.

Maybe this is a save me from myself thread! Fix it or part it?

Just got back form the Outter Banks and following up on some threads. Sounds like you got her...have any pics? Would love to see a before and I'm sure an after!!!

The attached is the one that makes me ill. Fix it or replace the fender?
    Attached Images

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

That fender could be fixed but it would be difficult to get it to look right. I would say to get it fixed right would cost more than a replacement fender. So my recommendation is to replace it. The hood could be fixed but only by a bodyman who knows how to work with aluminum. Aluminum cracks very easily and the stress needs to be relieved when it is straightened. Also, that section of the hood is double walled which complicates things even more since it's impossible to get a tool behind it to straighten it. If it was a steel hood, a bodyman would simply use a stud gun to pull out that dent. Did the headlight crack? Anyways, it's too bad that your car happened to be in the most vulnerable spot of the truck. Just about any other car would have been cheaper to repair than yours. Also, I would not be surprised if the cost of repair exceeds what you paid for it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.