Dang deal - A NEW 1992 for sale ?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Dang deal - A NEW 1992 for sale ? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So I was on AutoTrader tonight just looking around at different Cadillac's, and I found this: WOW This car is ...
    ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Dang deal - A NEW 1992 for sale ?

So I was on AutoTrader tonight just looking around at different Cadillac's, and I found this:

WOW

This car is immaculate, and only has 960 miles. That means over 16 years the car has only had an average of 60 miles a year! Damn, talk about a garage queen.

BTW to anybody who cares, think I am getting a Seville at the end of the week. 2000 STS w/54k miles. Sterling Silver w/Pewter interior. Getting some work done to it now, but boss said it should be done at the end of the week.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

Re: Damn

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    So I was on AutoTrader tonight just looking around at different Cadillac's, and I found this:

WOW

This car is immaculate, and only has 960 miles. That means over 16 years the car has only had an average of 60 miles a year! Damn, talk about a garage queen.

BTW to anybody who cares, think I am getting a Seville at the end of the week. 2000 STS w/54k miles. Sterling Silver w/Pewter interior. Getting some work done to it now, but boss said it should be done at the end of the week.
    Nah, no one cares.
    Hehe... just kiddin. Congrats on the Seville!

As for the Allante, that is probably the nicest one you will ever find from the BEST possible year AND in the second best color (after white diamond) to boot! My concern would be however that with such low use there are probably several parts and fluids that are brittle, acidic or need to be changed entirely. In some ways, non use is worse than normal use.

Hehe thanks Ian!

I was thinkin the same thing when I looked at the car. The car looks like it was well maintained, but you can never tell from the pictures. I've seen 3 or 4 Seville's that look great in pictures, but are hell in person.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

Hehe thanks Ian!

I was thinkin the same thing when I looked at the car. The car looks like it was well maintained, but you can never tell from the pictures. I've seen 3 or 4 Seville's that look great in pictures, but are hell in person.
    I agree... That whole ad is just very unusual. For such a unique and special car, he took pictures of it WET on a crappy day, next to an F250?

Then he says something about Carfax records, but nothing meaningful about any serious dealer maintenance history. Sounds a little mystery-meatish even though he does know his stuff about the car... < Love that smiley.

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Probably one of those cars they drag out of the junkyard to show how XYZ Wax will polish a car in ANY condition.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Interesting. Just ran CarFax on the car and it was last reported on by the DMV in 1994, and the car had 1030 miles on it at that time. Hmmm... something sounds fishy here.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Good lord! Look how crystal clear those digital displays are!
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

There is no doubt the car is in amazing shape. From what I've read, the '92 is the best year of them all. Don't think I'd pay almost $26k for a car as old as that, especially an Allante. Checking the forums, the value of these cars are dropping off quickly. I'd rather buy a cheap one with higher mileage and try to restore it to the best it could possibly be.

Plus, you know that car has to have something wrong with it. 60 miles a year? Damn, I can drive that in one day. I even saw a '93 Allante going for $22k with 60k miles. Hah, only a completely idiot would pay that.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

I'd still take a '93 over a '92, just because of the additional 95 ponies.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Re: Dang

Hmm:

- It might be a good idea to close up the battery compartment after you jump start the car and before you take pics.

- It might also be a good idea to clear the low a/c refrigerant message before you take pics.

- That wrinkled leather on the passenger seat just doesn't seem right - especially with only 960 miles.

- The red on the driver's doorsill looks mighty flat - like a poor repaint.

- Also, what's with the bright red paint around the hood latch and the red speckles? Overspray and an attempt to hide it?

- If you're going to wash a car, why not dry it? (It's not rain, the pavement away from the car is dry.)

- If you're going to vacuum the car, why leave the paper on the driver's floor?

To paraphrase Shakespeare, something is rotten in Turin.

Haha wow, I never noticed that. Looks like a fluke to me.

tman2093 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond STS with Sirius, 2001 Silverado

There is a depression in the console armrest as well.

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Haha wow, I never noticed that. Looks like a fluke to me.

I notice stuff in pictures, but I forgot to use a checklist when I took my car for a test drive. I never checked to see if the radio worked. Doh!

Stealth is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Is one enough ?

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792 View Post
    I'd still take a '93 over a '92, just because of the additional 95 ponies.

Sorry to burst your bubble .. but .. them 95 ponies wont help much under 120 mph, meaning a race track or the euro-autoban.
    additionally, the 4500 can be easily overhauled, easily up-mod its performance, easily supercharged .. the Northstar .. well .. give it a try and be ready to flip your pockets inside out.

WOW

950 miles, 5,000 miles, 10,000 miles .. dont matter .. cars such as this one keep surfacing a few times a year.
    usually these cars were purchased by some mis-guided "collector" with investment in mind .. a bad decision from the get-go. Aside the basic bad decision to buy a car like this for collection, there is the bad decision to buy one of the least desirable combinations: Red, digital, NO hard top, it is a NU126 instead of a NU100.

this car will most likely bring the $25k of there abouts but think about it .. that is 50% of the MSRP and that is in 1992 money. Assuming the seller is the original owner, he has lost about 75% of the investment.

If I was a collector (I am not):
    1) a '93 would be very last on my list, with the exception of a Montana Blue and that would have to be a VJ4 series.
    2) a Red any Allante wouldnt be on my list at all (and know that I like Red cars) as they are way too common.
    3) it would have to be a "10Xxxx" series not a "12Xxxx" (last 6 of VIN), no matter what year or color.
    4) mileage would be less important than the proper interior/exterior combo and condition.
    5) it would certainly have to be a ANALOG cluster.

These car's value keeps on diving, cost a bunch to maintain, finding new parts .. forget it, you are at the mercy of the donors ...

but .. that is me

Stealth is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Is one enough ?

Re: Dang deal - A NEW 1992 for sale ?

WOW

Its still 4-SALE, this new Allante with less than two tanks of fuel ever used by it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.