Dang deal - A NEW 1992 for sale ? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Dang deal - A NEW 1992 for sale ? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The Allante community is weird. Focusing on mileage more than anything else, including condition. It is assumed that if one ...
    Stealth is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Is one enough ?

Re: Dang deal - A NEW 1992 for sale ?

The Allante community is weird. Focusing on mileage more than anything else, including condition.
    It is assumed that if one acquires a low mileage car, the condition can be improved by hitting the parts market, IMHO, a correct assumption where a car shows age and stress.

So, what is a low mileage car? It varies, but I assure you that at 130,000 miles, an Allante is an unwanted commodity no matter the model year or the color. At around 60,000 miles it is considered low mileage. Crazy ideology, but is is what it is. Remember, it matters not what year model.

Lastly, in a world of valuable LOW MILEAGE cars, the Allante may be about he easiest car I have ever known to tamper with mileage .
    HOW? As I see it, you need THREE things.
    1. A car that has been off the public data domain (ie .. CarFax), or fell off after 10 years of not being registered,
    2. DIGITAL CLUSTER; analogs do not read the BCM PROM,
    3. low mileage BCM or BCM PROM from a low mileage donor.

Unlike the analog cluster, the digital cluster does NOT hold data, but reads it from the computer.

The PROM in the BCM retains the total original mileage for a car in memory.
    ~ From Allante XYZ Facts

Not everything is what it seems to be.
    Verify before you buy, specially when the buy is high priced.

wcoates is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1989 Red Allante,

Zal
    Is the mileage readable from anywhere in the diagnostics?

Theorectically replacing the digital with an analog would accomplish the same ? No? Unless it it is indeed readable from the diagnostics!

Quote Originally Posted by wcoates View Post
    Zal
    Is the mileage readable from anywhere in the diagnostics?

Theorectically replacing the digital with an analog would accomplish the same ? No? Unless it it is indeed readable from the diagnostics!
    Bill, not that I know off!

The ANALOG cluster is mechanical and you pull it and transfer it, the mileage goes with it unless you OPEN IT and turn the wheels back, which CAN BE DONE in minutes - and -- it is highly ILLEGAL. Shady dealers do it all the time.

The DIGITAL cluster does NOT hold data, it simply reads the PROM in the BCM. So you can swap digital clusters all day long and they will all show the same mileage.

IF you really want to know the true mileage of an ALLANTE, you have to do the following:

- plug in a digital cluster and see what it reads
    - check public records, such as carfax, to see a history
    - maintenance records printed in DEALER LETTERHEAD are also excellent in providing history and mileage - THAT IS WHY they can be so important.
    - compare records and look for discrepancies.

I assure you that at least some of those "low mileage" 30,000 mile Allantes are not so. Hey, buy a new or rem BCM with empty PROM, install it, drive car for a couple of years and you got a 30,000 mile car.

Between you and me, I have serious doubts as to the avalanche of 1,000 to 25,000 mile Allantes I have seen lately. It is possible, but is going to be rare, really rare.

I saw, in 2006 I believe, an Allante that was "found" locked into a back room after the owner died. OK, that one is most likely one if not hoax.

I am sure that I am not the only one that has spotted the quirk of the Allante crowd and desire for "low mileage" cars .. someone, I bet, has made a few extra $$$ cuz of it.

BTW, what is the street price of a BCM ? $50 !
    How about a "low mileage BCM ? $250 ? WHY ?

I will let you answer that !

One last thing .. can someone tell me how does one remove a car VIN from public records?
    Dont tell me you cant .. I have had THREE cars removed from public records and re-instated and each was done in a different manner.

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Allante buyers aren't unique with their focus on low-mileage units. I came from the Corvette community and there is just as much, if not more, focus on odometer readings. My 81 had just under 29K miles on it when I bought it in 2005. It still had under 30K miles when I sold it this summer.

One of the reasons I bought the Allante I did was to have more of a driver rather than garage queen. Sure it supposedly had only 33,xxx miles on it, but due to the repaint and sun damage on the dash cover, it will never be perfect. I just want to get all the mechanical and electrical items sorted out and drive it. If it gets a door ding in the parking structure at work I'll curse, but I won't stress out about it.

Quote Originally Posted by vanaisa View Post

I bet price will be something around $18000
    ahhh ahhhh !
    you were way off !

Winning bid: US $18,200.00
    but only cuz " r***1 ( 156) " stopped pushing it up.

vanaisa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): `65 DeVille Convertible´67 Eldorado,´02 DHS

well, here is another - 2100 miles 1993 model

Quote Originally Posted by vanaisa View Post
    well, here is another - 2100 miles 1993 model

forget the Allante, I'll take the SS right behind it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.