stereo volume
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, stereo volume in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; first some small talk. FYI...this is my first post on any forum so please inform me if I do anything ...
    honez is offline Cadillac Owners Member

stereo volume

first some small talk. FYI...this is my first post on any forum so please inform me if I do anything improper.
    I just purchased a '90 allante'...77k+ miles...excellent condition, I think! I've read many posts prior to purchasing this car and to be honest, I purchased because the knowledge that seems to be available out here makes me confident that any problem, parts or otherwise can be resolved. Hopefully someone will help with this.... my stereo, at full volume can only be heard with the top on/up, and even then is not loud at all. Would this be the speaker amps being bad. I wonder because I haven't heard any screaching like I've read about ...Although the problem existed when I bought the car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: stereo volume

FYI your post is just fine. Regarding volume, do you have the optional cell phone? If true, it could be related to cell phone being on. I believe sound is lower when hands free is used. When you fade front to rear is the sound higher, lower? I believe the hands free only worked the front two speakers. Besides the phone issue it could be the radio behind the glove box, doesn't sound like an amp issue. A good stereo shop should be able to diagnose, other than the remote radio, most BOSE systems are the same, the Allante is much like a Corvette of that time period. Good luck. Wecome to the fold!

Kcryan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Tripple Black Allante, RIP 98 catera

hello i'm new here too but i've been on other allante forums many times before. I have a 92 and to me this sounds like the amp problem not a normal case of the amp problem but i have heard of low or no volume from the amps just not too common if you can avoid it i wouldnt use the stero very much or at all

luckily these amps almost all have problems and therefore arent terriably expensive usually $75-$90 if you search around for rebulit ones but also check the allante FAQ for info on how to do it yourself.

good luck
    KC

Thanks carnut and kcryan. I did believe it was an amp problem but I had not seen or may not have paid any attention to any other posts that mentioned the radio "behind the glove box" I know nothing of this and carnut, could you briefly explain about this....I thought the radio was in the dash. I don't want to sound stupid, but are there 2 radios or is the one in the dash just a tuner....I'm confused!!!

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

The control head in the center of the dash is simply a message center and reader. The radio reciever is behind the glove box liner. Thats were the antenna, speaker wiring and power wires run to. Does your car have the phone option? I would recommend a factory service manual purchase ASAP. even if you dont do your own work it would help familiarize you with component location, and fault codes.

No, I do not think I have the phone option...no visible signs anyway! And yes, I need to purchase a sevice manual. Can you steer me in the right direction to aquire one?

I am wondering if I can use the control head in the dash, add an aftermarket amp, and just put standard type speakers in the place of the Bose w/amps?

On another note....I've had my '90 Red Allante' for one week yesterday AND I LOVE DRIVING IT!!!!!

Elvia is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have just bought a Red 1990 Allante and the radio comes on, all functions work but no sound comes out anywhere. what do you all think it might be. also, I need a center consol in Beige.

Thanks
    Elvia

Kcryan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Tripple Black Allante, RIP 98 catera

http://www.helminc.com/helm/welcome_...E5B4LD22QA3G76

for a service manual $90 but worth every cent i got mine from then and its priceless
    glad to hear your loving your allante

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.