Just bought my first Caddy - 1972 Eldorado
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Just bought my first Caddy - 1972 Eldorado in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Well I just bought my first Cadillac, a 1972 Eldorado, on my lunch break about 2 hours ago. I'm already ...
    n3rdcore is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Just bought my first Caddy - 1972 Eldorado

Well I just bought my first Cadillac, a 1972 Eldorado, on my lunch break about 2 hours ago. I'm already in love.

It's in IMMACULATE condition, all original, 48K original miles, this thing was babied. Its not a convertible, but the vinyl top looks brand new (original). It even has the 8 track player

Anyway I just found these forums and wanted to come ask for advice, etc.

I'd like to make this thing growl...can someone point me to a good muffler for it? Also looking for a quality cover that will stand dry desert heat up to 120 F, and dust. Found calcarcovers.com and was wondering if anyone can comment on quality compared to others.

Also, the only thing wrong with the car is the A/C is not working. Is there anyway I can buy the freon recharge for this? I think it's "R12", but not an expert here so don't know. I don't think I can just walk in a store and get it. Anyway, thanks for any help you can give!

Cadillac

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Re: Just bought my first Caddy - 1972 Eldorado

About the AC, it is R12, which is damaging to the ozone. Last time I checked, you could get a R12 recharge (I'm thinking around $350) or a conversion to R134a (maybe $100 more than the recharge). The conversion to R134a is more expensive, but once you convert you can get a recharge of R134a for much cheaper (maybe $40?).

Either way, you'll need to take it to a professional.

Is the A/C conversion something you would recommend taking it to a Caddy dealer for? Or any licensed A/C shop?

Angela Desmond is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I don't know much about AC but as for Cal. CarCover, I have one and I like it a lot. It's fairly sturdy and fits well. Sounds like you got a fantastic deal on the Caddy. Good luck with it and as for hopping it up a bit, check out the posts in this (the 500/472/425) forum. Most of the post deal with how we all have modified our motors.

tripleyellow78cad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by n3rdcore
    Well I just bought my first Cadillac, a 1972 Eldorado, on my lunch break about 2 hours ago. I'm already in love.

It's in IMMACULATE condition, all original, 48K original miles, this thing was babied. Its not a convertible, but the vinyl top looks brand new (original). It even has the 8 track player

Anyway I just found these forums and wanted to come ask for advice, etc.

I'd like to make this thing growl...can someone point me to a good muffler for it? Also looking for a quality cover that will stand dry desert heat up to 120 F, and dust. Found calcarcovers.com and was wondering if anyone can comment on quality compared to others.

Also, the only thing wrong with the car is the A/C is not working. Is there anyway I can buy the freon recharge for this? I think it's "R12", but not an expert here so don't know. I don't think I can just walk in a store and get it. Anyway, thanks for any help you can give!

Cadillac
    the system is r 12 freon and depending on where you live(i live in ca) you can still find an a/c shop that will fix your a/c and if you can afford it use the r12 do it ,
    it works so much better!!! than 134a
    and congrats on you new caddy enjoy it gotta love those big eldos

MMNineInchNails is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tripleyellow78cad
    the system is r 12 freon and depending on where you live(i live in ca) you can still find an a/c shop that will fix your a/c and if you can afford it use the r12 do it ,
    it works so much better!!! than 134a
    and congrats on you new caddy enjoy it gotta love those big eldos
    how does it work better than r134a if it has the same purpose, only the r12 is "damaging" to the ozone.

Quote Originally Posted by MMNineInchNails
    how does it work better than r134a if it has the same purpose, only the r12 is "damaging" to the ozone.
    If you knew what i've been through with 134a you would not want to recomend it to any one with an older car
    I used it in my 78 chevy caprice and it froze up a brand new ac delco gm A-6
    compresspor($300)
    and stupid me i went and tryed that stuff again and it allmost did the same thing again!
    finnaly i got it to work but then it only blew no colder than 50-55 degree range
    that might be o.k. in alaska but where i live it gets up to 110 in the summer
    so i finnaly took it back to the gm dealer and told them to put r12 back in it
    and what a difference it made it blew out 30-35 degrees
    so it's my personal experence that please don't use 134a
    it is for only cars that were desined for 134a and not for cars that wern"t
    and i still am out $1000 for just trying something new
    so that is why i belive that r 12 is better than 134a
    so use it if you can find it!!! (leagaly)of corse

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

I looked at 2 Cadillacs here in town that had been converted to R134a. One 76, one 73. Both ACs worked fine. Find someone who knows what they're doing with the conversion and you should be ok.

Exclamation Re: Just bought my first Caddy - 1972 Eldorado

I did take it to some one who knows what they were doing and that stuff still is junk

hey what about my bosses 85 dodge caravan wih dual a/c
    that does the same thing?
    he took it to the local dodge dealership and that junk did not blow very cold at all
    55-60 out of the vents
    but hey that is my view
    hey you might get lucky and have it work fair
    or keep your gm car all gm and stick with good ole r12
    and dont belive in all of that ozone depleating
    greenpeace stuff
    that any sane man would thing is not true
    thanks again caddilac forum for your excellent site
    and welcome n3rdcore

If you knew what i've been through with 134a you would not want to recomend it to any one with an older car
    I used it in my 78 chevy caprice and it froze up a brand new ac delco gm A-6
    compresspor($300)
    and stupid me i went and tryed that stuff again and it allmost did the same thing again!
    finnaly i got it to work but then it only blew no colder than 50-55 degree range
    that might be o.k. in alaska but where i live it gets up to 110 in the summer
    so i finnaly took it back to the gm dealer and told them to put r12 back in it
    and what a difference it made it blew out 30-35 degrees
    so it's my personal experence that please don't use 134a
    it is for only cars that were desined for 134a and not for cars that wern"t
    and i still am out $1000 for just trying something new
    so that is why i belive that r 12 is better than 134a
    so use it if you can find it!!! (leagaly)of corse

He obviously didn't know what he was doing. the R12 a/c system you have was built to be run on only r12. If you just add r134a, it'll freeze up like it did with yours. The oil inside of r12 is what keeps parts from seazing up and it's differnet in r134a. You have to drain the WHOLE system of r12 and replace a few things for it to be compatable and working right with r134a. It's not the refridgerent in your case, it's the system. YOu should ALWAYS put the right type in whatever you need to fill up. say brake fluid. You can't just put in non DOT 3 when it requires DOT 3.

Really?:rolleyes2
    funny i watched him do the process of converting
    my 78 caprice to 134a
    and he did the job correctly
    he replaced all of the correct parts
    including the drier
    and he used the correct oil
    and did he everything correct
    134a is useless in older cars like my caprice
    and another thing
    how could three different shops mess up?
    on two different car
    and again this is my beliefe

how could three different shops mess up?
    on two different car
    and again this is my beliefe
    Because your cars were ment for R12, not R134a. If R134a sucked, it'd suck on new cars too and wouldn't be very cold. R12 is indeed a little better, but way worse for the ozone. Just stick with what your car needs. Don't give it diesel when it needs unleaded

I don't know much about the R12 beyond what you guys have told me...I know it's banned, but if I take my car in for service do they still have it and will they fill it? Or will they require a conversion? Is it banned from usage, or just banned from continued manufacturing?

you cannot legaly purchase it unless you are a licensed an a/c technition
    but out here in ca where i live you can still have your car recharged with r 12
    ( i had my 90 gmc truck done on friday) and it still has freeze your tail off r12:coolgleam
    but the a/c shop cannot legaly recharge your system if their is too much leakage , and if there is you will need to repair it before they can recharge the system.
    and that also goes for any type or freon gas.
    i hope this helps and again please enjoy your 72 eldorado I BET SHE DOES NEAT FWD BURNOUTS

It's not for sale anymore. When A/C guys heard it was being discontinued in a month, they stock piled as much as they could up and they jacked up the prices for customers. Some A/C guys still have it and sell it for a lot more than it used to be, but someday it will run out.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.