500ci Identification. Casting #'s, etc.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 500ci Identification. Casting #'s, etc. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi everybody, I'm new to Cadillacs, but no stranger to cars in general. I'm really liking everything I read about ...
    GryphonGTR500 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none yet.

Question 500ci Identification. Casting #'s, etc.

Hi everybody,

I'm new to Cadillacs, but no stranger to cars in general. I'm really liking everything I read about the big-block Cadillac, especially the 500. My local pick-n-pull says they have a couple kicking around, but I want to make sure I don't get burned and end up with a 425 or worse, a 368. A 472 wouldn't be the end of the world, but I really want the 500.

Basically the title says it all. I searched for casting numbers and read the sticky posts, but couldn't find anything. Obviously, if it's coming out of a 70-76 eldo, it has to be a 500, right? I'm looking to get the whole engine and TH425 FWD tranny to swap into a mid-engined, rear drive hotrod. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Tyler

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Re: 500ci Identification. Casting #'s, etc.

A factory 500 will always be painted Royal Blue. Best way to tell is to remove a sparkplug (or a bunch of plugs) and carefully measure the stroke using a chopstick or something similar. Get an ass istant to turn the engine over by hand while you mark the high and low spots using a reference point on the chopstick. It isn't easy to turn one of these over by hand and there will not be a crankshaft damper bolt as it's pressed on so this is the hard part. The job seperates the weak from the strong. Best way is to grab the PS fan belt and pull it along while pushing the slack side. Waiting for compression to leak down helps make this job easier. I hope this makes sense. While you have a plug out, take a look at the piston top with a flashlight. You will see either a giant dish or a flat top with a slight circle depression. The dished piston engines used a much smaller head chamber volume. I like the flat top engines better. They seem easier to tune without pre ignition.
    Take your ass istant out for Chineese food after you do this.

GryphonGTR500 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none yet.

Thanks Ape,

I'll get a piece of dowel and do that. If it's 4.3" I'm golden. The flat top piston motors I'm assuming are the ones that came with the 120cc heads, right? I'm thinking that's what they will have at the yard anyhow. The older 500's with the high compression and 76cc heads are probably way harder to find and more expensive. Everybody wants the pre-smog motors. I've seen what kind of damage an 8.5:1 500 can do to tires . I think I'll have plenty of fun with it.

Cheers,
    Tyler

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

You want to avoid using anyhting that might scratch the piston which is why I suggested wood.
    The only year 500 with high compression was 1970. They had the same cc heads with dished pistons after that until going to the "flat top" pistons.
    Have fun.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.