New Caddy lover with a few questions guys...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, New Caddy lover with a few questions guys... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; ....Recently sold my BBc Tbucket and in the phase of planning the next one and have always loved the 500's......for ...
    tbucket101 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

New Caddy lover with a few questions guys...

....Recently sold my BBc Tbucket and in the phase of planning the next one and have always loved the 500's......for the torque AND the "uniqueness" and with the resources of aftermarket parts now days, Im really leaning toward a BBCaddy....but since I know nothing other than what I have learned on here, still have a few questions. First, and the most obvious, how much can I expect to pay for a decent long block?....not looking to do anything radical as for a machining goes, maybe .030 or .060 but really think an 'ole 500, tunnel rammed Caddy sitting in a T would be the cat's ass......I know that building one will cost more than doing another BBC, but think it will pay off in the long run.....also, as far as torque, since Ive never owner a BBCaddy, stock vs. stock, how do the BBC vs. BBCaddy compare....thanks in advance for all the info

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1987olds442 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1972 Eldorado, 2002 DTS, 507 Caddy Powered Oldsmobile 442

Re: New Caddy lover with a few questions guys...

Here are a few places that you can get crate 500 engines and performance parts from:

Potter Automotive - News
    Maximum Torque Specialties (MTS)
    Cad Company 8.2 Liter Performance

Ted in Olympia is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 87 T-Bird with 500, Also I part out 71-78 Eldos & sell Parts

Where are you located? Slime chance that you are in Washington but if you are I can help you with a good running used engine.

Potter is in TN, MTS in CA and Cad Company in AZ, There's also Torque Inc in Ohio.

Big block Cadillac do not cost that much more, you just have less choice in parts. Like they do not make a tunnel ram for the Cadillac, the best you can do is get a 460 intake adapter and use one for a 460, OK so this does cost more.

Another example is where you can get almost any piston for a chev you are limited to a few for the 500. Unless you want to go custom for about $800.

But if you want just a nice mild 10:1 engine you can build one for about the same cost.

Potter use to offer a 500hp crate engine for about $5500.

The Cadillac is lighter than the BB Chev and has more low end torque. If only because it has 50 more inches. But they are designed to have full torque by 3,000 rpm and they don't like to rev over about 5,500.

Google Potter Automotive and you will find his site.

TED

Quote Originally Posted by Ted in Olympia View Post
    Google Potter Automotive and you will find his site.

TED
    Or he could just click the link I posted in the thread above

Ted in Olympia is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 87 T-Bird with 500, Also I part out 71-78 Eldos & sell Parts

Good job, I missed this one.

Why do people post once and never come back?

TED

Quote Originally Posted by Ted in Olympia View Post
    Good job, I missed this one.

Why do people post once and never come back?

TED
    That's a good question...

Sorry, been away on a trip.....thanks for the info and links....Ive never heard of the "460 intake adapter" concept.....so who is out there that makes an adapter for Caddy to use a Ford intake?......that would be the icing on the cake for me as one of the drawbacks on thinking of using a 500 is not being able to use a T.Ram.......thanks for all the help

I found the adaptors on one of the links, thanks again...of course, Id like to hear what kind of a job it was mounting a TR w/adapters as it seems like there is some machining required to fit......thanks again

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

This is as close to a tunnel ram as you can get really. The Ford adapters are not cheap, have to transition from a Ford to a Cad port in a very small space, the outside ports are farther away, all of which makes for inefficent transfer of air between the intake and head. And they were fairly expensive too when I last looked for them.

Highway Star is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1979 Coupe Deville

One of the coolest things I ever saw way back in 1963/64 was this 1930s style hotrod with a souped up Caddy engine with the factory Caddy chrome valve covers (365/390?). Don't remember the make of the car (I was around 11 or 12 at the time), but the hood had no sides and you could see the beautiful engine in all its glory. Sounded killer too.

Phantom&RedGoat2004 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 Convertible

If you wanted to skip the bored-out/custom pistons, you can look for a salvage engine from a '70 Eldo. They came with the 400hp 500ci exclusive to that year and a lot of times only need a hone-job to freshen up the cylinders. I agree with the inefficientcy with the Ford adaptor. I've never used one, but I did my homework enough to know that if you want a hard-hitting Cad-motor, adaptors aren't going to cut it. However, if you just need something to top off the T, then aesthetically the adapter would be more practical simply because you're not nearly as limited in your choices. HTH, PRG04

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.