ahhhh i need help with this ticking!!!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, ahhhh i need help with this ticking!!!!! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; so here it goes, im on a 2 hour drive up to San Francisco the other day and by the ...
    DocRuckus is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

ahhhh i need help with this ticking!!!!!

so here it goes, im on a 2 hour drive up to San Francisco the other day and by the time i reach the city i noticed a ticking sound coming out of my engine. i automatically assumed it was probably a valve adjustment that i would need, upon calling my local mechanic, he said that the lifters are hydraulic and that they don't adjust, so my question is what could this sound possibly be??? i did use cheap gas for that trip so it could be that. Does anybody know a possible solution as to what it could be?? i really don't wanna pay this guy 125 bucks to diagnose the problem. (i'm kinda broke too...but can buy parts if neccessary), the ticking doesnt sound like a cylinder and it's coming from the left side of the engine, any kind of advice would be great. Thanks!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JTraik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '68 DeVille '95 FWB '99 Eldo '96 Cummins Ram 5MT

Re: ahhhh i need help with this ticking!!!!!

It is possible that you have a collapsed lifter. They are non-adjustable valves anyway. If its not a lifter then it could be an exhaust leak causing the tick.

Does the sound increase or decrease at any point? If so, what conditions does this happen under?

cadillacdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

which engine is it and how many miles on it if its a high compression 472-500 its a good chance its the gas

Leeb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): did this once... 86 Deville, 86 300E, 78 R100rs

Quote Originally Posted by cadillacdeville View Post
    which engine is it and how many miles on it if its a high compression 472-500 its a good chance its the gas
    But that would tend to 'tick' all over the place, and not just on one side...

I tend to agree with the collapsed lifter...
    although...

I had a 63 coupe once that would clack like a b**ch when the battery was dead and had to be humped -- I mean JUMPED!

Strangest thing, too... once the battery was charged up, it would go away... until I ran the battery down again!

Then there was the 77 Eldo that would act like it had a bad #8 plug if the engine was adjusted too lean.... just not enuf fuel to feed all of them, it seemed...

Sasquatch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Did you check the oil? Low oil levels can cause ticking.

BluEyes is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1970 Sedan deVille hardtop

Does the ticking change with the throttle or load on the engine? If it's really quiet at idle and then ramps up in volume a bumch when you hit the gas, it could be a broken exhaust manifold bolt. These engines seem to snap those bolts often enough and the resulting exhaust leak sounds a LOT like a loose lifter.

DocRuckus is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Talking Re: ahhhh i need help with this ticking!!!!!

The engine is a 7.0 liter 425 and the oil level is good, had a recent problem with overheating but i took care of it by changing the thermostat (maybe the cause of something...?) a friend of mine said it could be water in the gas tank combined with cheap gas so i just bought some iso-heet to displace any h20. i will put this stuff in, along with good gas, and i will also check around today for an exhaust leak. thanks for all the tips guys, if anybody else might think they know what this could be then post up. i am hoping to god this is not a collapsed lifter, sounds like alot of work. thx for the support!!

JTraik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '68 DeVille '95 FWB '99 Eldo '96 Cummins Ram 5MT

Quote Originally Posted by DocRuckus View Post
    The engine is a 7.0 liter 425 and the oil level is good, had a recent problem with overheating but i took care of it by changing the thermostat (maybe the cause of something...?) a friend of mine said it could be water in the gas tank combined with cheap gas so i just bought some iso-heet to displace any h20. i will put this stuff in, along with good gas, and i will also check around today for an exhaust leak. thanks for all the tips guys, if anybody else might think they know what this could be then post up. i am hoping to god this is not a collapsed lifter, sounds like alot of work. thx for the support!!
    Get a clean tank of gas in there, check the exhhaust manifolds closely... even poke between them and the block just to make sure the gaskets are intact and check for loose/broken bolts. And then report back to us!

If it is a lifter problem its not much to sweat, its a few simple steps, some torqueing info and your all set. (Assuming you have never changed lifters before)

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

I hope you changed the engine oil after the overheat. Cooked engine oil is not your friend. Lifters can tick for years without being collapsed. Collapsed sounds like something from a 911 call. A light stream of transmission fluid poured down the carbonator with the engine running at operating temp will show up any and all exhaust leaks. It will smoke like no tomorrow as well as clean out nasty carbon which has nothing to do with ticking noises.

bryan1970 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe deville

how loud is the ticking noise? is it loud enough to hear inside the car with the window down? only reason i ask is that i have a 425 78 CDV and since the day i bought it it has had a slight tick when cold and hot. i have also heard of other people with a ticking noise on the 425. at one time i recall someone on here stated that all 425's had a certiena ammount of valvetrain noise. i agree with the ape man though. get some fresh oil in there and see if that helps. me personally i have tried everything i can think of without pulling the engine apart to try and atleast quiet the ticking. i've put straight trans fluid in the crankcase and let the engine idle for 30mins then changed the oil and filter. with no improvments. i've done the same with marvel oil sea foam and other crank case cleaners. none of them have made the nosie any better or worse. and even with the ticking noise i drive the caddy like i stole it and the worst thing that has ever happened was the a/c compressor idler bearing locke3d up. i change the oil every 3K and i don't worry about it. mine has 147Kmiles
    and will run a blistering 17.6 1/4 mile. of course i can't hear your noise to tell you if it is like mine but i am definatly not afraid of the noise mine makes.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

425's were kinda known for cracking exhaust manifolds....

my left manifold was either cracked or leaking from somewhere... never bothered me enough to fix it... atleast not before it got wrecked .

Koooop is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!

I've had a few SDV's with the 425.

I'm betting you have a sticky lifter that got pissed when you heated the car up.

First check for an exhaust leak. If there is none, then...

rev the car up and put trans fluid through the carb, (yipe). maybe 6-8 table spoons, slowly pour the stuff in.

If the tick is still there (probably will be)

Put the remaining trans fluid (3/4 quart) in the oil. Immediately drive the car a couple of hundred miles and then change the oil (you must change the oil within 2-3 days it's not good for the seals to leave it in for an extended period).

2 1977 SDVs
    2 1978 SDVs
    1 1979 SDV
    1 1980 SDV but this doesn't count, it was a 368 car.

1987olds442 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1972 Eldorado, 2002 DTS, 507 Caddy Powered Oldsmobile 442

I don't if anyone else mentioned this, but might want to check your crank pulley the bolt holes in my crank where stripped and the bolts worked loose and it sounded just a valve train ticking.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.