What type of carburetor can I use to replace my old one? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, What type of carburetor can I use to replace my old one? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Thats almost what mine does now, and thats why I wanted a rebuild, it shouldn't be doing that if it ...
    Benzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV

Re: What type of carburetor can I use to replace my old one?

Thats almost what mine does now, and thats why I wanted a rebuild, it shouldn't be doing that if it was done right, you got screwed.

Johnny Bravo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman322 View Post
    When it's cold, it stalls several times, It's shaky at idle, It sucks fuel like crazy, it stumbles at takeoff and If you floor it it will stall.
    Sounds like you got a half-assed rebuild, or you have a major vacuum leak somewhere. Get that guy to do it right, or ask for a refund and send it one of the two rebuilders I linked.

That is not normal, you should be able to bolt it on and drive away.

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville View Post
    Most definately. (assuming you mean "you just can't beat.")

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

When it's cold, it stalls several times, It's shaky at idle, It sucks fuel like crazy, it stumbles at takeoff and If you floor it it will stall.

Those are also the symptoms of an engine that has burned valves. As part of the diagnostics have a cylinder leakdown test done to see if it needs a valve job.

Wheelman322 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1980 FWB Coupe D'el, 1995 FWB & 6 Other Non-Cadillacs.

Quote Originally Posted by zonie77 View Post
    Those are also the symptoms of an engine that has burned valves. As part of the diagnostics have a cylinder leakdown test done to see if it needs a valve job.
    The motor is a fresh rebuild (less than 400 miles on it). When the motor was redone, The carb was sent out to a guy who is now out of business. The car ran great when it was finished, but than I let it sit for about 3 years. I have tried to get in touch with the ex-owner of the carb rebuild shop with no luck. At this point, I would just like to get this project finished, so I am looking for alternate routes to re-rebuilding the Rock. I would love to hear from somebody who has tried an aftermarket carb with success or went the F.I route.

The motor is a fresh rebuild (less than 400 miles on it). When the motor was redone, The carb was sent out to a guy who is now out of business. The car ran great when it was finished, but than I let it sit for about 3 years. .
    Sitting is one of the worst things for a car. If not properly prepared, all kinds of nasty things start to happen. Especially with a car that has a lot of years on it already.

It may have fuel varnish build up in the carb if you didn't run it dry prior to storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
    Sitting is one of the worst things for a car. If not properly prepared, all kinds of nasty things start to happen. Especially with a car that has a lot of years on it already.

It may have fuel varnish build up in the carb if you didn't run it dry prior to storage.
    Unfortunatly, I'm learning that the hard way. The sad thing is that the guy who rebuilt it was known in this area as the best to take a carb. to. I know he could probably get it in shape in five minutes, but I can't find him.

Unfortunatly, I'm learning that the hard way. The sad thing is that the guy who rebuilt it was known in this area as the best to take a carb. to. I know he could probably get it in shape in five minutes, but I can't find him.
    Well, if you want to stay local I had Q-jet rebuilt by Steve's Carburetor shop in Lyndhurst a few years ago, (201)-935-3499. However, I don't know if he's still in business, or where you're located.

He did a decent job, but wasn't cheap. If the carb is gummed up with varnish it will probably need to be disassembled and cleaned.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
    Well, if you want to stay local I had Q-jet rebuilt by Steve's Carburetor shop in Lyndhurst a few years ago, (201)-935-3499. However, I don't know if he's still in business, or where you're located.

He did a decent job, but wasn't cheap. If the carb is gummed up with varnish it will probably need to be disassembled and cleaned.
    Oh, you are the man... Much Thanks. He's the guy my friends have been telling me about, and nobody had his number.

BluEyes is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1970 Sedan deVille hardtop

sounds like sitting for all that time didn't do much good. My Cad's carb is still in good shape and just needed a bit of a tuneup when I bought the car. Except for having to set the choke on a cold start and a bit of cranking if the car has sat for a few weeks between drives, it responds just like EFI, and you should expect nothing less from a Q-jet in good tune. Punch it from a standstill and all it does is spin the right rear tire Although, I've gotta say, Caddy big blocks are supposed to suck fuel like crazy!

I've gotta disagree with Dave though - rebuilding a Q-jet is simple with a bit of reading. Head to your book store and pick up "Rochester Carburetors" by Doug Roe. He was a GM engineer and covers everything you need to know to truly understand how the carb works and completley rebuild it for everything from stock to race. Anyone with reasonable mechanical skill should be able to rebuild one of these carbs in a lazy weekend unless some monkey in the past has seriously FUBAR'ed your Q.

Quote Originally Posted by BluEyes View Post
    ... unless some monkey in the past has seriously FUBAR'ed your Q.
    That's what i'm afraid of...I'll just leave it to the pro's. I made an apt. with Steve for Friday.

VicVega is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a 1406 on my '77 425. To use this with the stock intake I used the Edelbrock carb adapter. You will not be able to re-use any of the carb related brackets. You will need to cut the fuel line to connect it with a inline filter to the carb. You should not need a fuel pressure regulator because the stock Caddy pump runs at idle below 5 psi and never over 6.5 psi any other time. A 1406 will not like fuel pressure over 6.5 psi.

This sets up fairly easily and idles and runs much better than the Qjet that it replaced. I purchased an NAPA electronic choke to give me the slower burn off I need when its cold. I purchased the Edelbrock A/C solenoid to bump the idle up when the A/C is on. I run a 2" open air cleaner with a washable filter.

Two issues you need to keep in mind. 1. When you swap carbs strip the top of the engine and carefully re-torque the intake bolts, 50/50 they will be loose (symptom, runs like crap when its cold but okay when its warm, common problems with BBC engines). 2. The 425 has a single plane intake so whether you have a Qjet, Edelbrock, AFB, Weber, Demon or Holley off idle performance will not be improved significantly because a single plane intake just will not do the job. The best way around this issue is to buy a 472 or 502 intake and replace the 425 intake with this intake. It is a dual plane low rise intake that works very well in town on a heavy car, plus you can mount the A/C compressor. Be sure you get the A/C compressor brackets for that manifold the 425 brackets will not work.

I would not waste any time or money switching to FI there's really no bang for the buck.

Good luck.

Attached are PIX of the '77 with the 1406 installed on the stock 425 intake. The upgrade to the '69 472 intake is scheduled for this winter.

VV
    Attached Images

I ended up having Steve rebuild the carb. He mentioned the vaccuum lines were all misrouted to begin with. The car is running beautiful now though. $335 well spent.

Benzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV

Damn, thats all? $335? I can't wait to get mine in!

Quote Originally Posted by Benzilla View Post
    Damn, thats all? $335? I can't wait to get mine in!
    To re-iterate what I already said...it's amazing. My car was getting 4mpg city on average, was running like sh*t, and cold starts were terrible. Now post rebuild i'm getting about 12mpg city, the throttle response is incredible, and cold starts are equivelent to my 03 Benz. Steve from Lyndhurst, N.J is the man!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.