Supercharger on a 500?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Supercharger on a 500? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Just want to say hi. I 'm glad to have found this site. I've never owned a Cad engine yet ...
    Underdog is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Question Supercharger on a 500?

Just want to say hi. I 'm glad to have found this site. I've never owned a Cad engine yet but they have certainly peaked my interest. Finally an engine that you can change out spark plugs easily without contorting your hands I have a Weiand supercharger ( the small one ) that use to be on a 400 Chev small block that ran on 92 octane. Obviously a stout rotating assembly is needed for any huffed engine but has anyone here have any experience with putting a baby blower on the 500? If you have any supercharged recipes please share. Thanks again for a great website and any help you could provide.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Re: Supercharger on a 500?

I have no experiance buy a guy by the name of caddycarlo has some mini blower on a stock bottom end, made some ungodly amount of power, 800hp or something like that.

That reminds me I got an email from him out of the blue a couple days ago I forgot to return.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

If you have any luck getting caddycarlo to stop in, let me know. I'm in a reward-giving mood.
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

There is a company called BDS that makes them. Potter is a vendor for them I think.

I know that most blown Chevys wont last long with a stock bottom end. I understand the Cad blocks to be very very durable but I was not aware the stock rotating assembly was also as stout to allow it to withstand mild supercharging. But if thats the case thats great news for sure. Just to clarify, I already have a blower ( Weiand 177 ). Just wanted to hear some experiences from anyone thats running them on a 500.

BluEyes is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1970 Sedan deVille hardtop

I doubt a small blower like a 177 would be of much use on a 500ci motor unless it's a show car. As you probably know, those blowers don't make much boost on a 383 or 400ci smallblock. By the time you overdrive the blower enough to boost a Caddy, you'll just be blowing hot air. Unfortunately, you're probably looking at a hole in the hood for a blower on a Caddy, unless you use a centrifugal blower or maybe a twin screw type.

As for the bottom end, I'd bet the crank and rods (with good rod bolts) would hold up on a mildly boosted engine as long as you keep the RPM range stock (under 4000) but get forged pistons for sure and keep out of detonation. First thing I'd upgrade after the pistons is the stock cast (not forged) rods, and finally the crank (look at the size of the journals, that thing is a beast).
    There are also main studs and main girdles available for these engines so you can take the power waaaaay up there.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

You will not need to upgrade the crank unless you're making four digit power, and even then you can just throw in a stock nodular crank (actually all the 500/472 cranks might be nodulars, but the ones with the N are for sure.) If you want to make north of 1500 then maybe think about an aftermarket piece (and if you go that route you will pay out your nose.)

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac View Post
    If you have any luck getting caddycarlo to stop in, let me know. I'm in a reward-giving mood.
    Since he left the cadillac powah board I hadn't heard from him until about 3 days ago. Turns out a friend of his with a blown + sprayed BBC Chevy II who is on racingsouthwest.com with me took notice that I was a Cad 500 guy, and mentioned it to caddycarlo. So I got an email from him. Turns out he got married a year ago and is retiring this year. So he might stop by after all.

I'm closing in on a carbed 500 out of a '75 Deville. If they can handle a 150 shot of the bottle, I'm planning on running more than moderate boost then. Hard to believe no one here has done a small blower set-up. Have boost will travel

1987olds442 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1972 Eldorado, 2002 DTS, 507 Caddy Powered Oldsmobile 442

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
    I'm closing in on a carbed 500 out of a '75 Deville. If they can handle a 150 shot of the bottle, I'm planning on running more than moderate boost then. Hard to believe no one here has done a small blower set-up. Have boost will travel
    Potter Automotive - News

They make a intake called the Boogie-Man Pro Type Intake uses a variety of tops for most induction methods. So they might have a top to work with your Blower setup.

caddycarlo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cad 500 engines

I wish someone had said something to me about this post I would have been here sooner........

the 177 blower will work just fine I got 8 lbs of boost with the blower at max rpm on a stock lower end and ran nos on top of that ..... mounting the blower will be the hardest part as i used a b-m adaptor that would bolt to the carb flange since this is no longer made you will have to make your own intake adaptor ...... the easyest way to do this would be with potters intake and a flat plate .... you will also need the long drive snout and I would run the 7 inch lower pulley .......

also not only have I run this blower on a caddy but so has a guy in cal. his was just a driver street rod and like 5 lbs of boost .....

JTraik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '68 DeVille '95 FWB '99 Eldo '96 Cummins Ram 5MT

When i took my block to the machinist he didnt have a box big enough to ship the crank to the balancer... he was like "that thing is a monster!"

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.