Rear Ends
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Rear Ends in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi, I'm new to the forum. I Race a 1972 Cad, 500, in the Bomber Class. This class is restriced ...
    Clinton is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac, 1972

Cool Rear Ends

Hi, I'm new to the forum.

I Race a 1972 Cad, 500, in the Bomber Class. This class is restriced to 355 rear ends or less. Anyone got an idea how close I can get to that 355 and where. I appear to be running something around 242 at the moment and was ok on dirt as dirt is more driver than car. Not so on asphalt. I need to get more speed/acceleration out the the car but stay within the rules.

I am not a mechanic and I just recently (today) acquired the car after racing it last night on a dirt track. I am planning on racing it here in Las Vegas on asphalt in the next couple weeks and need more quick acceleration coming out of the turns. Bomber class is strick on some types of improvements and 355 it tops for rear ends.

Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

linearone is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1981 coupe deville 6.0 liter

Re: Rear Ends

I dont know if cadillac rear ends are special or not from the others put out by big 3 but I would try Randy's ring and pinion first. They do seem to have everything.

Randy's Ring & Pinion - Your Source for Differential Parts

hope that helps

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

I'm not aware of anything aftermarket for the oddball rear these things have. IIRC my 75 has 2.73s (now if it had a posi I'd be set - the ring gear looks like it's out of a rear from a dump truck.)

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Some of these cars came optional with a 3.15 axle ratio. They also had optional posi. Good luck finding one. The more comonly found ratio was 2.93.

Phantom&RedGoat2004 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 Convertible

Service cars (such as an ambulance, funeral cars, and series 75 limo's) had better gears in them (2.93 vs. the production cars 2.56-ish). I found one with factory posi, but that was a very rare find from what I understand. The rears are diferent from the other GMs, so you would have to stay Caddy, and you would have to get a post-'69 car to keep the guts to fit in your housing. I had this swap in my '71, and it made a big diference. Hope that helped, PRG04

JTraik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '68 DeVille '95 FWB '99 Eldo '96 Cummins Ram 5MT

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom&RedGoat2004 View Post
    Service cars (such as an ambulance, funeral cars, and series 75 limo's) had better gears in them (2.93 vs. the production cars 2.56-ish). I found one with factory posi, but that was a very rare find from what I understand. The rears are diferent from the other GMs, so you would have to stay Caddy, and you would have to get a post-'69 car to keep the guts to fit in your housing. I had this swap in my '71, and it made a big diference. Hope that helped, PRG04
    These rearends are a restorationists worst nightmare. I cant find one place that carries ring and pinion gears for these, bearings and seals are an easy find however.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
    These rearends are a restorationists worst nightmare. I cant find one place that carries ring and pinion gears for these, bearings and seals are an easy find however.
    There is no market for replacement parts because they simply don't fail.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.