A few questions about using a 500 in a tow rig
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, A few questions about using a 500 in a tow rig in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; In a nut shell; I have a Cadillac 500 (I believe its a 1976) and an auto tranny I want ...
    -Mike- is offline Cadillac Owners Member

A few questions about using a 500 in a tow rig

In a nut shell; I have a Cadillac 500 (I believe its a 1976) and an auto tranny I want to put in my 1979 Ford F350. I read in many threads here and in the "HotRod" articles that the engine is a torque monster, but how does it do with heavy loads? Say a 20,000 pound gross combined weight rating? Is the bottom end "bulletproof" enoufgh for something like that? If not, where are some places I can get forged rods, crankshaft, and pistons from? The Cadillac 500 isn't to popular in all the catalogs and sites I have been looking at, so if you guys know of any good places please let me know

About the transmission, anyone know what it is? All I know is its a rear wheel drive automatic. I will be happy to get a picture if you need it.

The engine and transmission was pulled out of a 1976 (I believe) Cadillac before the car was demo derbied (hope that doesn't get me in trouble here....it did however take first place if that matters ) The engine has been sitting for 2 years out in the rain, complete with the carb and all the acessories bolted on, including a Frigidaire AC compressor, and the complete transmission. I'm not wanting to re-use the carb, intake, manifolds, distributor, and any other replacable parts like the water pump, alternator, and all the acessories, so I'm not too concerned with the elements doing any damage to them. I also planned on doing a mild performance full rebuild on the engine, and the transmission too so if there is any internal problems they will be found and fixed. The transmission doesn't work, it just acts as its in netural no matter what gear you put it in, thats why the engine was pulled out of the car, so of course I will have to have that rebuilt too.

If you guys have anything to say, or could point me in any certain directions I would really appreciate it. I originally planned on rebuilding a 460 for my Ford, but theres nothing cool about that. Cadillac 500......now thats got cool written all over it

Thanks again

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Re: A few questions about using a 500 in a tow rig

The stock bottom end is fine for towing apps. 20k If you want to spin over 5500rpm thats when you look at forged pistons and rods (and rockers.) The stock crank is good to four digit horsepower. The block and the nodular cranks are good for more still.

If a 460 can handle your towing needs a 500 can handle more.

If you want parts, look at:
    cadillacowners.com - click vendors on the left side navigation bar.

I can just about guarantee your trans is a TH400. It definately is if it came out of the same car as the engine.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Re: A few questions about using a 500 in a tow rig

I coudln't think of a better gasoline enigne for towing with .

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.