knfuzd51 motor or at least the owner is
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, knfuzd51 motor or at least the owner is in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey guys Im back again with more questions on my 71 472 deville motor. Im getting ready to break in ...
    knfuzd51 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

knfuzd51 motor or at least the owner is

Hey guys Im back again with more questions on my 71 472 deville motor. Im getting ready to break in a cam soon and want to hook up a 3 pack gage set to the water, engine, temp and I need a engine engine oil pressure reading Can anyboby in fact tell me that these motors have an electrical oil pressure senors on them. There are two sensors on the motor I dont know what they are for , one is threaded into the block on a 20 degree behind the manifold and the other that looks the same is on the drivers side on the front of the block. are both of these indeed oil press sensors or what.
    thanks please call 1-814-266-6381 for my sake to get a better understanding of this or tell me where I can get an IPB of this motor if posible.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

472 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 55 60S, 81 DeVille (Diesel), 83 Coupe (507), 84 Wood (425)

Re: knfuzd51 motor or at least the owner is

The motor has just a "switch" stock, not a sending unit. The switch just turns the idiot light on if pressure is too low. I would either omit the dummy light and connect your gauge there (behind intake manifold), or get a T fitting to plumb both.

knfuzd51 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Im still a little knfuzd, so what should I do, are you saying remove the electricle sensore and use a mech gauge in that hole behind the manifold with some kind of adapter or what, Is there anywhere else on the motor that I can hook a mech oil press gage. It might be eaier to call me at 1-814-266-6381. If you can

Jeff

472 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 55 60S, 81 DeVille (Diesel), 83 Coupe (507), 84 Wood (425)

Jeff, I'm just saying the best place to plumb your oil pressure gauge is in the block, behind the manifold - and there will be a factory oil switch there already that only controls a dummy light. Disconnect it, and plumb your gauge.

VicVega is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Jeff,
    There is only one place on that block to pickup oil pressure and that's the switch just behind the intake previously mentioned. If you swapped cams, you had the intake off, that would have been the best time to add your oil pressure gauge connection. The switch screwed into the block here can be simply the oil pressure light switch or can be a combo oil pressure light and safety switch. On my engine this is the combo switch. I removed the switch screwed in a brass T then screwed the original switch to one side of the T and the new oil pressure gauge connector to the other side of the T, that way I have both. I prefer electric gauges over mechanical gauges so my connector is the gauge sending unit. Be sure to wrap your fitting and adapter with teflon tape, six times around the threads starting one thread up from the bottom thread and tighten the fittings very tight...or they will leak oil.

There are three places on the block to pickup water temperature. You can remove the switch in the front of the block and use the same procedure described above to add the water temperature gauge sender...or you can look on the passenger side of the block directly below the thermostat housing
    and you will see a socket head plug screwed into the block and second one about 10" further down the block. Both of these screw into the water jacket or at least the do on my engine. I have my water temperature gauge in the top hole and a petcock in the bottom hole. No matter which choice you make to add your gauges be sure to teflon tape the fittings as described or it will leak.

I prefer electric gauges because the capillary tube for the water gauge and the tubing for the oil line tend to be too short or take more time than they are worth to install, especially if you are going inside the cabin to the gauges. Caddy's and most luxury cars don't provide easy access into the cabin for accessories like this making the job even worse.

Hope this helps, email me at videos@bright.net if you need anything else.

I am located NorthofColumbusOhio.

VV

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.