sticker says 501 is it a 500 cid - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, sticker says 501 is it a 500 cid in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Since you are pulling it out of a Deville, you would probably want the 472. By the time the Devilles ...
    DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Re: sticker says 501 is it a 500 cid

Since you are pulling it out of a Deville, you would probably want the 472. By the time the Devilles got the 500, the smog laws choked them to almost nothing. The older the engine, generally the higher the compression/less emissions crap.

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Many people think that number refers to the engine size but it doesn't (I think it might be some kind of emissions code or something). If you look to the left of that number (on the same sticker) you should see that it says 472cid.

As for what's best.....they're pretty much the same except one is 500c.i. and the other is 472c.i.. Some people actually like the 472 better because it has a shorter stroke and may rev a little quicker. In a small light truck, I don't think it'll really matter. You'll be smokin' the tires with either.

RocketFast321 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1984 Buick Electra Estate Wagon aka Country Cadillac

little off topic but the folks on www.astrosafari.com say it is easier to put a v8 in a astor or safi than a s-10. Nothing says that a astro with a v8 lop
    burn out http://www.astrosafari.com/videos/ZZ3burnout.mpg
    130 fly by http://www.astrosafari.com/videos/ZZ3130pass.mpeg

Alot of them have put 305s and 350s in there vans. A few even have a AWD LS1 Astor

93sdeville4.9m is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Are the motor mounts the same for bbc and the cadillac bb mounts? If they are then its real easy. If not what can I do?

This project will be rollin on rubber before summer is up! Even if I have to fabricate the mounts at a local cnc machine shop!

djmumm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 37s, 57s, 93 eldo, 02 DHS, 05 XLR

Hi I wanted to add some information about the sticker and the engine size. The sticker is an engine model number. I agree with an earlier post that I have found that the cars with the 501 sticker have 472CID in small print on the same sticker. In addition, I believe that the sticker on a car with a 500 will read 776 with small print that says 500 CID. I have gotten into arguments with folks about whether or not the biggest cad engine was a 501 or a 500. I believe that the argument stems from these 501 stickers being miss-interpreted to mean 501 CID. Dave

Talking Re: sticker says 501 is it a 500 cid

Quote Originally Posted by djmumm
    Hi I wanted to add some information about the sticker and the engine size. The sticker is an engine model number. I agree with an earlier post that I have found that the cars with the 501 sticker have 472CID in small print on the same sticker. In addition, I believe that the sticker on a car with a 500 will read 776 with small print that says 500 CID. I have gotten into arguments with folks about whether or not the biggest cad engine was a 501 or a 500. I believe that the argument stems from these 501 stickers being miss-interpreted to mean 501 CID. Dave

Thanks for the info . Thats good info. I will remember that one.

djmumm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 37s, 57s, 93 eldo, 02 DHS, 05 XLR

Quote Originally Posted by 93sdeville4.9m
    Thanks for the info . Thats good info. I will remember that one.
    You're welcome. Have fun Dave

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.