500 mileage?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 500 mileage? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I was wondering what kind of mileage I could expect from a '74 500 with a mild cam, edelbrock intake, ...
    daredeville is offline Cadillac Owners Member

500 mileage?

I was wondering what kind of mileage I could expect from a '74 500 with a mild cam, edelbrock intake, headers/dual exhaust, HEI, in a 3700lb. car w/2:73 gears

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: 500 mileage?

Just a guess but I'd say 10.....maybe 12 if your foots not buried too deep.

I've heard people say that they've squeezed 15 outta one of these motors. Either they're lying or they're not enjoying it.

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Quote Originally Posted by lux hauler
    ......if your foots not buried too deep.
    Damn that little disclaimer....

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

For a baseline comparison, my Dad used to get 9 or 10 with his 455 cu. in. 442 Olds. My friend who has a Dodge Ram with the 5.9L 360 (2002) gets 8 or 9 (city). But trucks are geared differently or higher than cars right? I could squeeze 12 out of my 383 Charger. I would guess not much worse than this. Oh, I'm getting 19 or 20 city (winter!)

daredeville is offline Cadillac Owners Member

thanks, I'm hoping the torque advantage will far outweigh the mileage disadvantge. I kinda figured I'd be able to pass everything but the gas station. Should be fun though

German_472 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by daredeville
    thanks, I'm hoping the torque advantage will far outweigh the mileage disadvantge. I kinda figured I'd be able to pass everything but the gas station. Should be fun though
    Hi,
    in the attachment, you will find my gas mileage for the last year. I keep a book on getting gas. The most right list shows you the mileage per 100 km - you will have to convert this, since it is Liters for 100 km. It does convert to miles per gallon somehow. 20 miles per gallon is about 9-10 liter per 100 km.

The mileage is for the stock vehicle, running a 472 engine on the TH400 3 speed A/T, with 1" carb spacer and flowmaster muffler. Other than that, its stock, but the carb seems to be somewhat out of tune. I mostly cruise at 55 to 65 mph.

Hope it helps,
    Andreas
    Attached Images

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.