425 transmission
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 425 transmission in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; 79 coupe, what's the transmission on that called? Thanks...
    Mojochiken is offline Cadillac Owners Member

425 transmission

79 coupe, what's the transmission on that called?
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

eldorado99 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: 425 transmission

Thats still the TH-400 if I'm not mistaken. (Turbo Hydramatic)

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Turbo 400, short tail, BOP-C bell housing.

Perhaps the best automatic ever made.

Mojochiken is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Ok, then has anyone had luck with a High-performance Super Street Torque Converter pt# ZX383955Y from JCWhitney?

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Honestly, if you want hi-po parts for the thing (which there is an overabundance of) I woudln't go thru JCWhitney.... check out Jegs or Summit or something, I would think they would have much better brands.

If you are messing with the torque converter, then I would guess there is already a shift kit in it? Cadillac got the softest shifting calibrations... wears down the clutches more, tho the TH400 really dosn't care... but you can get that thing slamming into gear faster then any manual... of course depending on your goal, you may not want that firm of a shift... all depends on the setup... but stock, even under WOT, hardly feel the shifts.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

You know, it's interesting that you brought this up.

On a modern automatic car one of the first modifications is a high stall convertor. Not as much attention is paid to the convertor in older cars, almost none in Caddys. Then again a modern auto will have a lockup convertor and a TH400 won't, so highway economy will suffer. Either way there's no denying the performance benefit, a guy here in Albuquerque went from a 16.5 best to a 15.78 changing to a 3000 stall in his Mark VIII.

Keep in mind having a really high torque motor will cause the convertor to stall higher than the advertised RPM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.