Radiator hoses
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Radiator hoses in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My radiator hoses expand a lot when the engine is hot. Should it be so by the pressuare? It's not ...
    caddyswede is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac deVille sedan HT-68

Radiator hoses

My radiator hoses expand a lot when the engine is hot. Should it be so by the pressuare? It's not overheating, just wondering because they expand so much.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/690250

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BluEyes is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1970 Sedan deVille hardtop

Re: Radiator hoses

Time for new hoses!!!

Replace them before they burst and leave you with no coolant, stranded on the side of the road! This is a good time to replace the thermostat and coolant as well.

The car looks beautiful in those new pics, keep working on her and you'll have a truly awesome car!

Now I changed both hoses, they doesn't expand as the old one but they got very hard after only 5 minutes and a lot of pressuare when I lift the radiator-cap. As I said, the temp is normal, could it be a broken headgasket? There's no exhaust-smell in radiator. Or should the hoses be very hard by pressuare after only 5 minutes? Maybe I worry unnecessarily... Opinions please.

Sounds like it's working perfectly.

As the coolant warms up, it expands slightly and builds pressure in the cooling system. The radiator cap is designed to hold back 15psi of pressure. This pressure increases the boiling point of the coolant and helps to prevent steam pockets forming in the cooling system around the combustion chambers and exhaust ports.

When the system presurizes, it forces a small amount of water (or air, if there is any in the system) out past the radiator cap and into the coolant reserve tank. When the system cools, that bit is drawn back in. In this way, the coolant system automatically purges air bubbles in the system over time. You still want to make sure the radiator is full the first few times after doing cooling system service like replacing the hoses, but once the radiator stays right about full, there is no more need to remove the cap. Just keep the coolant reserve at the appropriate full lines and you will know the radiator is full.

Also, DO NOT open the radiator while it is pressurized! Once your radiator is full, doing this will make it spray out scalding hot water and you can be badly burned! If you have one of the radiator caps with the lever to release pressure you can carefully use that to release pressure first, or hold a thick rag over the cap and *slowly* open it.
    Be extremely careful though - I have seen the burns that this can cause and it's not pretty. This was even on a guy who had been working on cars for a long time and thought he was being careful.

Thank you very much, that sound's good. Btw, I don't have any coolant reserve tank, it's only the radiator. When it's cold the waterlevel should be 3" down from top of radiator.

hmmm, just one year before the closed cooling system was put in. Do you have space for a coolant jug over in the space behind the drivers side headlights? That's where my '70 puts it, you might be able to add one off a later model Caddy if you come across one.

Actually, any container of appropriate size that will not melt with >200*F water in it will work. Something about 2L in volume, and just run that rubber hose from the radiator into it. Make the hose long enough that it comes nearly to the bottom of the container, and you're set.

fleetwood76 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1976 FLEETWOOD brougham

Hello
    A little Swedish.
    Hej Caddyswede.
    Stilig bil du har fått till.
    En tanke bara - Är det rätt kylarlock du har till ditt system, för jag kan tänka mig att du borde ha ett annorlunda lock än ett till ett senare system med ett högre systemtryck.
    Jag hoppas det inte är något allvarligt fel, eller helst inget fel alls, så här i bästa körsäsongen.
    Lycka till.

A little English. I only asked if he had the right radiator cap.

Jolle

Thank you Fleetwood76 :-)

The radiator cap should be to my car, and it's the same specifications on it like the old one, 15 lb.

Kul med fler svenskar här! "Fun with more Swedes here!"

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.