Junk Yard War
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Junk Yard War in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I live in TN Freind has Junkyard and a Tractor /Truck pull track. He loves Fords and I have been ...
    Mark -- is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Junk Yard War

I live in TN

Freind has Junkyard and a Tractor /Truck pull track.

He loves Fords and I have been mouthing off about Cadillac's

We found two Junker Trucks in the Yard (Both 2WD)

- He's using a 460 cab &1/2 and I got a 3/4 chevy with a 250 6 cyl.

At this point, I think I lose..

He may have a better truck, due to a longer wheel base and that may mean more than I would like to admit.

I'm going to inject some Cadillac power into the old Chevy and see what happens.

Need your insights;

1st this is what I have laying around;
    - 1976 500 with Trans and rearend with springs and driveshaft (Heads are off and it looks OK)

- 1970 472 HiComp engine (Dismantled)

-Can use any donor parts off of a 425 in the yard (mid sump pan , oil pump, heads etc)

- Also have an adapter plate and a set of shorty headers

1) I could just put the 76 500 back together, with Automatic and see what happens

2) Do the same but bolt the 76cc or the 96cc heads on for more compression - Bump the fuel up a notch as needed

3) put the 472 together as designed in 1970 and run it with the Automatic from the 500
    and

4) Do any of the above using the adapter plate & bolting to the four speed in the truck

The rear-end spiders will be welded-up and some gripper tires will be used on both trucks

Any Thoughts Appreciated

Mark --

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Junk Yard War

I think I'd put my money on the 472.

The 500 with the 96cc heads wouldn't be a bad set-up either. Air-flow will cut the rpm's a little shorter. It should give you more grunt (down low) over the stock 120cc heads.
    The compression will probably be a little high with the 76cc heads (12-12.5:1?).

Mark -- is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by lux hauler
    I think I'd put my money on the 472.

The 500 with the 96cc heads wouldn't be a bad set-up either. Air-flow will cut the rpm's a little shorter. It should give you more grunt (down low) over the stock 120cc heads.
    The compression will probably be a little high with the 76cc heads (12-12.5:1?).
    Lux,
    Enjoyed your post and responces on your engine build-up
    Do you have a reason for the 472 pick ??

What do you others think - Remember I can make some very high compression and I believe I can do this without fear of thing hitting each other (Ref Torque Pig) I can increase octane by adding Tolene to the gas

I don't care if I blow this thing-up!! I'm just looking for the best junkyard puller I can put together with what I got.

When I'm done- I'll salvage what's left and move on!!

I might be able to pull off the Edlebrok manifold by then

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

My reasons for picking the 472 over the 500 options you have are:

1) The '70 472 is higher in torque and hp in stock form.

2) The shorter stroke will allow the 472 to 'spin-up' a little faster.

MMNineInchNails is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

just make sure the quadra crap works right before you try to run it around and it craps out on you.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.