425 heads on 472
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 425 heads on 472 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Picked up a low mile 1974 472 for my International Scout. Now I'm thinking about putting 425 heads on it. ...
    Scout is offline Cadillac Owners Member

425 heads on 472

Picked up a low mile 1974 472 for my International Scout.

Now I'm thinking about putting 425 heads on it. Supposed to be worth 40 hp, but not sure about the torque. And better thottle response I've heard. Is this a good idea? I'm looking for all the grunt I can get between idle and 2500 rpm.

What mods would be necessary? Drill steam holes?

What should it cost for a valve job if I find some good used 425 heads?

Thanks....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Hey Scout,
    Al from MTS was doing some experimenting with the 425 heads on the bigger motors. I'm not sure exactly what has to be done to make them work.......I have heard about the water ports though. It's my understanding that the only advantage to the 425 heads is the chamber size, 96cc's compared to 120cc's on the later 472/500 heads.........I don't think the 425 heads flow as well as the 472 heads either.
    You might try getting ahold of Al to see what he has done to his.
    MTS (Maximum Torque Specialties)
    Good luck and keep us posted.

PONCHO is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I'm not sure if it will work. Visit cad500parts.com or MTS

Originally posted by PONCHO
    I'm not sure if it will work. Visit cad500parts.com or MTS
    why not?

As I understand it, the only reason to put 425 heads on a 472/500 motor is to raise the compression which in turn can give you more power.
    Also, I believe the '74 472 came from the factory with flat top pistons. This may cause clearence problems.

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
    The 425 heads don't flow as well, they have smaller ports. It would take quite a bit of work to get them up to spec with good 472 or 500 heads. It would be easier just to try and find a good set of 472 or 500 heads and work from there.

Originally posted by caddydaddy
    The 425 heads don't flow as well, they have smaller ports. It would take quite a bit of work to get them up to spec with good 472 or 500 heads. It would be easier just to try and find a good set of 472 or 500 heads and work from there.
    I have good 472 heads that I could have ported (and milled down to increase the compression). But I'm not looking for top end power, and I don't want to spend a lot of money. It seems for my application (heavy 4x4) that stock 425 heads are better then stock 120cc heads. What do you think? Will ported 120cc heads have more torque/throttle response in the 1500-3000 rpm range then 425 heads?

I just got the "Big Inch" Cadillac book. It has some stuff in it about the 425 heads on the 472/500. I'll do some reading this weekend and let you know what it says.

The Big Inch Cadillac book didn't say much about the head swap.
    I think I heard somewhere that a set of ported 425 heads with larger valves flowed about the same as a set of stock 472/500 heads. It seems, the only benefit of the 425 heads on a 472/500 is the higher compression.
    The 425 heads should work for what you want but the high end will suffer from the lack of air flow.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.