question about 500 and tranny
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, question about 500 and tranny in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I was wondering if there would be a way to mate a 4speed to the 500, and one that will ...
    Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

question about 500 and tranny

I was wondering if there would be a way to mate a 4speed to the 500, and one that will handle the tourqe of it.... as the car has the 3speed, I would think that a 4speed could improve highway millage, and be more easy on the engine.....

Is there a way something could be setup eithout costing too much money?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MMNineInchNails is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: question about 500 and tranny

Probably. The stock trans is a th400 and it was put in a bunch of trucks for GM so you could find something like it that would bolt to the 500 in newer form or something. Just look into it with researching on google or something.

EGLuder is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS

if you can fit a th400 up to a 500 there has to be a way to adapt a muncie, for example

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wolf
    I was wondering if there would be a way to mate a 4speed to the 500, and one that will handle the tourqe of it.... as the car has the 3speed, I would think that a 4speed could improve highway millage, and be more easy on the engine.....

Is there a way something could be setup eithout costing too much money?
    What car are you talking about?

I am talking about 1975-1976 Fleetwoods....

.... I dunno, I just really, really like them.... I always wanted an 80's Brougham and do a 500 swap... but the '75/'76 already comes with the 500, and it is huge, and weighs alot...that is cool, and the stlying is great...

.... but for like highway driving and stuff, the 3speed wouldn't be good.... 4 speed would be alot better....

Angela Desmond is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

There are some very nice overdrive systems out there that I believe are compatable with your auto-trans. You can hit the overdrive at the shift point in every gear to give you what amounts to a six speed. For example: first, first-and-a-half, second,second-and-a-half, and so on. They are not cheap though, about 2k, I haven't checked their prices in awhile.I was checking them out for my project but I let go when I seen the prices. You should be able to run a 4 speed in your Caddy, if you're willing to start setting up clutch linkages and mounting changes. "Where there's a will, there's a way." By the way, where are you located upstate. I'm in Orange county.

4L80E......it's basically a th-400 with overdrive. not sure what all is involve as far as the swap goes though.

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Angela, is this what your referring to? http://www.gearvendors.com/

As far as highway driving, I think these cars come with highway geard rear ends. Mines a 2.94:1.

I don't know if you guys are getting confused or not... but this is NOT for my '93 DeVille, but a '75/'76 RWD Fleetwood.....

I live in Ulster County, small town called Clintondale, I know exactly where New Windsor is... I am about 20min form Newburgh.....

....the thing is, if I WAS to ever get a FW, I would want to see about swapping out that laid back rear end, but something more aggressive in, but have an overdrive for the highway....

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wolf
    I don't know if you guys are getting confused or not... but this is NOT for my '93 DeVille, but a '75/'76 RWD Fleetwood.....

I live in Ulster County, small town called Clintondale, I know exactly where New Windsor is... I am about 20min form Newburgh.....

....the thing is, if I WAS to ever get a FW, I would want to see about swapping out that laid back rear end, but something more aggressive in, but have an overdrive for the highway....
    Personally, I think the money would be better spent on motor upgrades rather than messing with the tranny and rear gears.
    The torque that the 472/500 makes will pull the high gear with no problem. Also, too much gear with all that torque will probably make it that much harder to get traction.

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Quote Originally Posted by lux hauler
    Personally, I think the money would be better spent on motor upgrades rather than messing with the tranny and rear gears.
    The torque that the 472/500 makes will pull the high gear with no problem. Also, too much gear with all that torque will probably make it that much harder to get traction.
    Exactly. I get unintentional wheelspin as it is. I know its not for your Deville, but damn that would be cool.

Yes, gearvenders.com is the source I was refering to. The rear I'm using in my Caprice now is a Ford 9" with 3.25:1 gears and trac-loc diff. Any lower than those gears and I think you'll have real trouble hooking up( unless you have slicks). I don't even know how I'll hook up when I drop the 425 in. My stock rear was a 71/2" GM with 2.5something-or-other gears and I ate that up just with the lightly modified 350 in there. I believe the Caddy's came with the 81/2" ring gear which is a bit stronger than the 71/2" but you could still eat up the pinion bearing,especially if you change gears and don't get the bearing preload exactly right.There is a place on the Newburgh/ new Windsor border that does good rear end work if you need it done. They're called "Trans-axel". P.S. We should check out each others rides some time, seein' we're so close...

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Desmond
    Yes, gearvenders.com is the source I was refering to. The rear I'm using in my Caprice now is a Ford 9" with 3.25:1 gears and trac-loc diff. Any lower than those gears and I think you'll have real trouble hooking up( unless you have slicks). I don't even know how I'll hook up when I drop the 425 in. My stock rear was a 71/2" GM with 2.5something-or-other gears and I ate that up just with the lightly modified 350 in there. I believe the Caddy's came with the 81/2" ring gear which is a bit stronger than the 71/2" but you could still eat up the pinion bearing,especially if you change gears and don't get the bearing preload exactly right.There is a place on the Newburgh/ new Windsor border that does good rear end work if you need it done. They're called "Trans-axel". P.S. We should check out each others rides some time, seein' we're so close...
    yeah, that sounds like a good I dea....I go to Newburgh alot, when you enter Newburgh there is the small carwash called Wash & Glo.... best carwash ever..... although right now, the DeVille is put away...so unless you want to see a 1989 Oldsmobile Eighty Eighty which I recently side-swiped a telephone pole with.... then we can meet in the Spring....

what kind of a car do you have?

Back to the Fleetwood thing... yeah, I guess the money would be better spent doing engine mods... it just seems that the 3speed really limits any performance you could get..... but the biggest thing I was first tlaking aobut overdrive was for fuel millage on the highway.... and it would save some life form the engine....

We've got a 1953 Dodge M37 Powerwagon you'd love to see. It runs OK but it's been lacking top end power lately and I've been messing with different things to get the power back. If it's running tip-top by spring I'll bring that along. We all seem to be going the engine build-up route with available cash,which is one thing that makes this forum so interesting. We learn from each other best routes to go and hopefully avoid mistakes others have made.

68CoupeDeVille is offline Cadillac Owners Member

So... just to jump in here, what is the best way to get better gas mileage with these things? My '68 drinks premium like I'm pouring it out of a bucket. I'm swapping points/condenser for a Pertronix setup in August and may add a multi-spark later. I know it'll never get good gas mileage but something better than 10mpg around town would be nice. It's my daily driver and I'd love to be able to take road trips in it eventually (when it cools off, too hot in Texas for the a/c to keep up) but at that rate it's cheaper to fly!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.