Some thing wrong with my caddy help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Some thing wrong with my caddy help in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; ok my caddy has been parked for like 7 years ok i start it up a year ago ran fine ...
    1969cadillaceldorado is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Exclamation Some thing wrong with my caddy help

ok my caddy has been parked for like 7 years ok i start it up a year ago ran fine ok today i put a newer carb on it and now it wont stay started fuel is shooting out of the carb and after car is turned off smoke comes out of the carb and it always does a engine run on what do i do? and how many fuel pumps are on a 1969 cadillac eldorado

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Aaron J Williams is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 61 ragtop,2 67 eldos,68 ragtop,68CDV,89SDV,90 fleet,93 ETC

Re: Some thing wrong with my caddy help

There is one fuel pump on a 472 engine but I don't think the fuel pump is the problem. It sounds more like your replacement carb is bad. Did the car act the same with the original carb? It could also be a vacuum leak or sticky intake valve.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron J Williams
    There is one fuel pump on a 472 engine but I don't think the fuel pump is the problem. It sounds more like your replacement carb is bad. Did the car act the same with the original carb? It could also be a vacuum leak or sticky intake valve.
    ok i found anther fuel pump back by the gas tank and there is on up in there motor wtf? and with the original carb it ran great but with his carb its not running great but i just put another carb on the car that my friend had same thing happend and sticky intake vavle??

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

There should not be another fuel pump unless you have EFI, in which case it would be in-tank. Are you sure it's a fuel pump you saw?

Quote Originally Posted by terrible one
    There should not be another fuel pump unless you have EFI, in which case it would be in-tank. Are you sure it's a fuel pump you saw?
    here is a pic of it
    Attached Images

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

^^And what I'm seeing under the inlet or outlet on the left side is an electrical connection? Hmm.

Anyway if fuel is shooting out of the carb it sounds like the float is adjusted too high. I had a similar thing happen on a Holley carb I was running, my friend adjusted the float the wrong way and we got a geyser of gasoline under the hood... good times.

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

I would say that looks like a filter, but the connection has got me as well. Is the mechanical fuel pump up front still there?

jk1000 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Electric fuel pumps develop much higher pressure than the old mechanical types. Carbs were designed for about 5 to 6 psi, not much more. That electric pump could give you around 40 psi. If you want to use the electric pump then you will need a pressure regulator.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

69 wasn't FI. That must be an add on pump. It may have been out on if the mechanical pump wasn't putting out enough fuel. Sometimes they get weak and work OK in normal driving but don't have enough flow for WOT,or the stock pump may have gone bad and that was someone's fix.

If you aren't going to drive it hard I wouldn't bother with an electric pump. Take off and get a fuel pressure gauge ( less than $15 @ Harbor Freight )to check the mechanical pump. If it's low, like 2-3 psi, put a new mechanical pump on. Or...just put a new mechanical pump on. It has been sitting for years and probably is weak.

Quote Originally Posted by zonie77
    69 wasn't FI. That must be an add on pump. It may have been out on if the mechanical pump wasn't putting out enough fuel. Sometimes they get weak and work OK in normal driving but don't have enough flow for WOT,or the stock pump may have gone bad and that was someone's fix.

If you aren't going to drive it hard I wouldn't bother with an electric pump. Take off and get a fuel pressure gauge ( less than $15 @ Harbor Freight )to check the mechanical pump. If it's low, like 2-3 psi, put a new mechanical pump on. Or...just put a new mechanical pump on. It has been sitting for years and probably is weak.
    a year ago i put a new mechanical pump andwas only ran for like 20 min so should i just go buy a new carb?

Quote Originally Posted by 1969cadillaceldorado
    a year ago i put a new mechanical pump andwas only ran for like 20 min so should i just go buy a new carb?
    You have to make sure the fuel pressure is correct first. If it's too high it'll blow right through the carb. Have you tried it without the electric pump?

Did I understand that you already tried another carb (friend's) and it did the same thing? With or without the elec pump on it?

You have to make sure the fuel pressure is correct first. If it's too high it'll blow right through the carb. Have you tried it without the electric pump?

Did I understand that you already tried another carb (friend's) and it did the same thing? With or without the elec pump on it?
    ok the elec pump has been off this whole time cause it wouldnt stay started with it on and i did try another carb of my friends that use to be on a 75 cadillac and it did the same thing

ok went out and started it up again to see maybe if it would stay running well it did for 5min 2min later a girls walks up ans says thanks for messing up my tuesday cause of my car being so loud she couldnt hear her tv so she started to say something to i just revved it she walked away and then here comes that fuel out of the carb so that was gay but she called the cops on me and the cop said i can only run my car from 7 in the morning to 7 at night im only running open exhaust like its that loud LOL

Forget the elec pump. Leave it off.

I'd get the gauge and check the pressure. it should stay about 5psi. I think 7psi is the highest a carb can handle.

If it's in the right range then get another carb.

Did you buy that one rebuilt? Why not return it?

You said it ran with the stock carb. Why not use the stock one?

Rebuilding carbs isn't that hard but there are a bunch of small parts. If you have an extra carb now maybe you should try rebuilding it.

Forget the elec pump. Leave it off.

I'd get the gauge and check the pressure. it should stay about 5psi. I think 7psi is the highest a carb can handle.

If it's in the right range then get another carb.

Did you buy that one rebuilt? Why not return it?

You said it ran with the stock carb. Why not use the stock one?

Rebuilding carbs isn't that hard but there are a bunch of small parts. If you have an extra carb now maybe you should try rebuilding it.
    no i got another carb off my part car its 69 eldorado to it was was rebuilt like 20 years ago the the stock one rite where the fuel line goes in the carb it start to leak there so thats why i put this carb on and where would i get this gauge

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.