Carburetor adjustments
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Carburetor adjustments in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Have heard removing condenser coil will help with cooling. Looking to increase air flow to carb. but can't find any ...
    cady75 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Carburetor adjustments

Have heard removing condenser coil will help with cooling. Looking to increase air flow to carb. but can't find any spacers or col air intakes that will fit 75' Eldorado. Recently took out old cat and put in new high flow. Probably should have not put one in at all I guess. Any ideas on increased air flow. Also any tips on why I can't keep cold Caddy from stalling at idle until warm. after 5-6 minutes I can engage transmission without stalling. Vacuum problem? . I know that's a bunch of questions. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Re: Carburetor adjustments

The cold stalling is a choke problem. You'll need to adjust or fix it depending on what's wrong.

Using a spacer under the carb will help a bit, I'm sure they're out there. Just search for spreadbore carb spacer. As for an intake, I personally think the stock cool air intake air cleaner assembly is fine. Other options would be an open element air cleaner, or my favorite would be a dual snorkel air cleaner inhaling cold air from each side.

JTraik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '68 DeVille '95 FWB '99 Eldo '96 Cummins Ram 5MT

Many overlook the exhaust manifold heat riser, and those who do see it think its useless. If your heat riser is stuck and not working that could be part of your cold related problems. It makes priority out of warming the carb up when the engine is cold by stopping up exhaust and when the engine warms up it opens and allows the exhaust to flow normally. Not only does the heat riser do that but it also is needed to provide equal exhaust pressure on both sides. Just somethin to look at...

cady75 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Sounds like you're describing the valve on the exhaust manifold that bypasses back into intake on start up? To check operation can I just check tube that reroutes exhaust into intake. It should get real hot real quick, right. Also manual says you can lube this part, is this true. Is this part repairable or just replace it? One last question, I usually have to start the car 3-4 times to keep running. will this riser valve help this instantly? thanks, pretty cold up here 22 degrees. springs coming I think.

Aaron J Williams is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 61 ragtop,2 67 eldos,68 ragtop,68CDV,89SDV,90 fleet,93 ETC

The heat riser will help but most likely the choke needs adjustment or repair. Does the car idle high when cold? If not,then the choke isn't setting.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

One reason for not idling until the engine warms up is bad valves. Just a possibility.

JTraik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '68 DeVille '95 FWB '99 Eldo '96 Cummins Ram 5MT

Quote Originally Posted by JTraik
    If your heat riser is stuck and not working that could be part of your cold related problems.
    I tried to word that as carefully as possible heh. As Aaron stated, it will certainly help but your choke looks like it needs some repair.

As for the heat riser, there is no tube, but rather the exhaust is backed up and forced through a "ribbed passage" in the intake. The exhaust heats up the carb quicker in the cold and then heat will cause the heat riser spring to expand and open the valve.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.