Did a Compression test today.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Did a Compression test today. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Did a compression test today, came up with some interesting numbers: Spec: 165-185 (in reference to the second set of ...
    DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Did a Compression test today.

Did a compression test today, came up with some interesting numbers:

Spec: 165-185 (in reference to the second set of numbers listed below)

Odds: (First number-first puff, second number-about five puffs)
    #1- 145/180
    #3- 125/165
    #5- 125/175
    #7- 125/160

Evens:
    #2- 90/125
    #4- 90/120
    #6- 70/85
    #8- 110/175

Been getting a large amount of blowby lately too, as well as increased fuel comsumption. Put a leakdown tester on #6 and heard hissing in the crankcase as well. So, given that the engine has less than 80k on it, i'm really reluctant to think I have a worn bore or bad rings. With the blowby, don't think its the headgasket, so what does everyone think of the thought of the rings being stuck in the piston? Sound pretty plausable? I'm thinking of trying pulling the three plugs (2 4 and 6) and filling the combustion chambers with something like seafoam or B12 Chemtool, then letting it sit for about a day. Any thoughts on that, or am I pulling pistons in the near future?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Re: Did a Compression test today.

Good testing procedure!

If you aren't losing coolant I'd agree with you on rings stuck.

Given it's age/mileage it must have sat for long periods. That's consistent with rings sticking.

The N* has a factory procedure to loosen stuck rings. Similar to what you suggest. There is a recommended solvent for that from GM.

After the procedure I'd consider running about half a quart of ATF in the oil. It's very high detergent would help clean the rings too. This is just my opinion but I have done it on sludged vehicles before and I think it would free up sticking rings. If you think the engine has sludge built up you 'll have to change the oil and filter quickly to keep it from plugging the filter. A couple of oil changes is much easier than tearing an engine down.

Have you taken it in any highway trips lately? WOT helps the N*'s free up sticky rings too.

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Re: Did a Compression test today.

Thanks for the advice, I might look for that GM solvent. The engine could use a crankcase flush as well, ever since I got the car it's recieved Delvac 15w40, so I should be good there, but it does get dirty quick. I'll give the ATF a try!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.