68 deville 472 air pump belt
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 68 deville 472 air pump belt in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; i have a 68 472 cad that snapped an air pump belt.car has not seen road in 2 yrs. i ...
    caddman68 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question 68 deville 472 air pump belt

i have a 68 472 cad that snapped an air pump belt.car has not seen road in 2 yrs. i am trying to change the belt but cannot find out how to loosen air pump to install new belt.i have been looking for books on cadillac maintenance but cant find any.this is my first vehicle 23 yrs ago and wont part with it.the brakes are gone from sitting in garage all wheel cylinders and master cylinder are shot.air pump belt is my first plan of attack,any advice will help.thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JTraik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '68 DeVille '95 FWB '99 Eldo '96 Cummins Ram 5MT

Re: 68 deville 472 air pump belt

Quote Originally Posted by caddman68
    this is my first vehicle 23 yrs ago and wont part with it.the brakes are gone from sitting in garage all wheel cylinders and master cylinder are shot.air pump belt is my first plan of attack,any advice will help.thanks
    I would leave the belt off! The airpump should be the least of your concerns at this point. It is an unecessary and completely inefficient smog control device anyway. However if your still interested in taking it off i can go out and get my FSM and look it up.

caddman68 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

thanks for the reply on the air pump,i was going to delete putting the belt back on,but then realized what would turn the alternator?i know the air belt is seperate but nothing the alternator belt onto the fan just free wheels?

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

It is a pretty strange setup. The air pump belt also turns the waterpump. Theres then a belt from the waterpump to the alternator. I remember the adjustment bolt being on the bottom, because thats where I had the prybar. That belt has to be pretty snug, as its prone to squealing since it drives so many components.

JTraik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '68 DeVille '95 FWB '99 Eldo '96 Cummins Ram 5MT

This is what happens when your engine has been apart for 8 months

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.