Any other engines out there...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Any other engines out there... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; ... with the same bore spacing as our BB Caddies? Something late-model? The current generation of BB Chevy isn't the ...
    BluEyes is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1970 Sedan deVille hardtop

Any other engines out there...

... with the same bore spacing as our BB Caddies? Something late-model? The current generation of BB Chevy isn't the same, is it?
    I know the heads on our Caddies flow pretty well, especially for their vintage. But with all the research that has gone into airflow technology in the last 30 years, modern ports are flowing far better. The OEM stuff is often really great for flow with great velocity, swirl, tumble, etc. Great power with even better mileage and less emissions has made for some great tech. Basically, I'm wondering if there is anything out there that could be used for a hydrid head conversion to benefit from this modern technology.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Re: Any other engines out there...

For better heads on the BB Cad... the best thing to do is just port and polish the current heads... for spend lots of money for those fancy aluminum heads... those have the new technology that you talk about applied to them.

BluEyes is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1970 Sedan deVille hardtop

Port and polish is a good deal, but I don't have the knowledge of exactly where to hit it to gain flow without adding to the port volume. I know the average machine shop won't do any better - they'll probably either do a light polish or a full hog job. One doesn't change much, the other will ruin the heads.
    For the cost of getting a good port guy to do the heads I would be looking at the cost of the aftermarket aluminums that are out. While I don't doubt that those heads have alot of modern port technology in them, there is NO WAY that they can put the kind of development $$$ into them that GM does into their new heads. Look at the "Vortech" heads for SBC's. There's a reason why they trash any aftermarket head with a similar port size (and many that are noticably larger) GM can afford to put as much money into developing that head as the entire annual budget of the aftermarket companies making heads. Also, the sad fact is that any aftermarket head for a Caddy won't have the same $$$ and time put into it as something like a BBC AFR head because the market for Caddy heads is just not as large as other engines.

Basically, what I'm looking for is something that could do like the new LS7: 1.2 hp/cube (with the new, stricter SAE test) smooth idle, great economy for the hp and torque everywhere from down low to redline. Plus it qualifies as a low emissions vehicle. I know that isn't all the heads, but without a kick-@$$ head those things don't all come together.
    I'm not trying to knock the aftermarket heads out there for our engines, because I do think that they are my best option. But, if there's some modern factory engine that I can use and get top notch engineering from, I'd rather go that route.

Now, if the guys making the aftermarket heads could team up with someone who has CNC info for porting of LS2LS7 heads and incorporate those ports into a Caddy head, along with a custom intake that lets me keep the AC... Now you've got a killer combo.

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BluEyes
    Port and polish is a good deal, but I don't have the knowledge of exactly where to hit it to gain flow without adding to the port volume. I know the average machine shop won't do any better - they'll probably either do a light polish or a full hog job. One doesn't change much, the other will ruin the heads.
    For the cost of getting a good port guy to do the heads I would be looking at the cost of the aftermarket aluminums that are out. While I don't doubt that those heads have alot of modern port technology in them, there is NO WAY that they can put the kind of development $$$ into them that GM does into their new heads. Look at the "Vortech" heads for SBC's. There's a reason why they trash any aftermarket head with a similar port size (and many that are noticably larger) GM can afford to put as much money into developing that head as the entire annual budget of the aftermarket companies making heads. Also, the sad fact is that any aftermarket head for a Caddy won't have the same $$$ and time put into it as something like a BBC AFR head because the market for Caddy heads is just not as large as other engines.

Basically, what I'm looking for is something that could do like the new LS7: 1.2 hp/cube (with the new, stricter SAE test) smooth idle, great economy for the hp and torque everywhere from down low to redline. Plus it qualifies as a low emissions vehicle. I know that isn't all the heads, but without a kick-@$$ head those things don't all come together.
    I'm not trying to knock the aftermarket heads out there for our engines, because I do think that they are my best option. But, if there's some modern factory engine that I can use and get top notch engineering from, I'd rather go that route.

Now, if the guys making the aftermarket heads could team up with someone who has CNC info for porting of LS2LS7 heads and incorporate those ports into a Caddy head, along with a custom intake that lets me keep the AC... Now you've got a killer combo.
    Potter is working on a new set of aluminum heads.....don't know any of the details but he is not known as one to half - @ss anything. Bulldog is supposed to be doing another run of their heads too....at least that's what I've heard.
    The A/C isn't really THAT big of a deal. A little fab work and an aftermarket compressor and you're set.
    It all comes down to $$$$$. If you're willing to pay for it, it can be done.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

The LS7s economy comes mostly from the tiny car it's in.

No modern engine has 5" bore spacing.

I've also heard Bulldog is doing another run, Tiny Donovan mentioned something about it on the other board awhile ago. As for Potter's "Boogieman" heads... I'm expecting great things, for Potter is awesome.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.