Early 472 Oiling issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Early 472 Oiling issue in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I was wondering what was changed with regards to the oiling system on 70-up BBCads? I think my car ate ...
    DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Early 472 Oiling issue

I was wondering what was changed with regards to the oiling system on 70-up BBCads? I think my car ate the cam and cupped a lifter, so while I have it apart, I was wondering if installing a restriction or enlarging a passage somewhere would accomplish what the later production blocks did. (still regretting letting that '72 coupe go to the crusher without grabbing the engine. Damn. Student income sucks!)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Early 472 Oiling issue

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmed
    I was wondering what was changed with regards to the oiling system on 70-up BBCads? I think my car ate the cam and cupped a lifter, so while I have it apart, I was wondering if installing a restriction or enlarging a passage somewhere would accomplish what the later production blocks did. (still regretting letting that '72 coupe go to the crusher without grabbing the engine. Damn. Student income sucks!)
    It's my understanding that the oil passages are smaller. I'm not really sure where though. I'm also not sure if there's much that can be done to make the passages larger or if it's even necessary.
    Stop by the CB7 forum and check out the post by Potter about modern oils. There seems to be a direct link between modern oils (the lack of zinc) and cam failures. It's an interesting read.

Fleetwood472 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 Fleetwood w/ FI 472/ Switch pitch TH400

The earlier blocks did have smaller oil passages but it wont make enought difference on a mild build motor. Cadillac changed them when they went to the 500 and just used the new blocks for both motors. One thing you can do is bore out the pickup screen port to fit the larger pickup screens that might help a litle bit with oiling. - Justin

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

After the rebuild, I'd personally stick to full synthetic oil... I like Mobil1. It'll flow alot better thru smaller passages.

Thanks, i'll take a look into that stuff. I'm also considering shimming my oil pressure relief valve with a spring or two to help up the pressure a tad.

I'm not exactly going for a full rebuild, just fixing whats become an issue. So far the list has valve cover gaskets, cleaning the drainbacks too, bet there nasty, removing the intake and cutting the center out, decarboning the valves and combustion chambers, new cam, lifters, and maybe pushrods, timing set, Maybe HEI, and a new waterpump. Thats assuming i don't find any nasty suprises in there and the list grows...

I know its an off chance anyone knows, but can I squeeze a cam in there without removing the grille? I plan on pulling the rad, condensor, and rad support but since I have that point in the grille pretty far out... Those bolts havent budged in 37 years, i'd really rather not mess with them given the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by lux hauler
    It's my understanding that the oil passages are smaller. I'm not really sure where though. I'm also not sure if there's much that can be done to make the passages larger or if it's even necessary.
    Stop by the CB7 forum and check out the post by Potter about modern oils. There seems to be a direct link between modern oils (the lack of zinc) and cam failures. It's an interesting read.
    Interesting, it pretty much goes with what was recommended for the late model engines as per the ex-guru. I have been using Delvac for a bit, but have Rotella in there now. There looks to be a fair amout of sludge and crap everywhere in the valve covers, maybe this car was subject to the old 10w-40 oils? I'm interested in finding out whats hiding in there, as the valve covers are RTV'd on (probably why there leaking now) so someone was messing with something at some point in time.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Thanks, i'll take a look into that stuff. I'm also considering shimming my oil pressure relief valve with a spring or two to help up the pressure a tad.

I'm not exactly going for a full rebuild, just fixing whats become an issue. So far the list has valve cover gaskets, cleaning the drainbacks too, bet there nasty, removing the intake and cutting the center out, decarboning the valves and combustion chambers, new cam, lifters, and maybe pushrods, timing set, Maybe HEI, and a new waterpump. Thats assuming i don't find any nasty suprises in there and the list grows...

I know its an off chance anyone knows, but can I squeeze a cam in there without removing the grille? I plan on pulling the rad, condensor, and rad support but since I have that point in the grille pretty far out... Those bolts havent budged in 37 years, i'd really rather not mess with them given the choice.
    Isn't it going ot be getting replaced from the accident anyway?

Nah, the grille is acceptable. The hood is the biggie.

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

The cam may go in without removing the grill but I would think it would be easier see things and move things around with the grill out of the way.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.