what is it......?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, what is it......? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello, I have to hacksaw my fuel line near my carb(1980 deville 6.0 ltr. 4 barrel rochester carb.) I cannot ...
    creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

what is it......?

Hello, I have to hacksaw my fuel line near my carb(1980 deville 6.0 ltr. 4 barrel rochester carb.) I cannot get 5/8" flare nut off. I want to send carb. in
    to be rebuilt. does anyone know what material fuel line is, it looks like it could be stainless steel, I hope not.
    tnx ken

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Re: what is it......?

I'm not sure what it is off the top of my head, but it bent fairly easily on my car, I can tell you that much...

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

It should be double wall steel pipe, but not stainless.
    You could try to spray the nut with some rust penetrant a few days in a row and see if that will let the pipe break loose from the nut, but it may not work. They used to do that a lot.
    You can cut through the pipe, just try to do it on a straight section of the pipe so you can install a section of "repair hose" and clamps later on.
    The best thing to do would be to replace the pipe from end to end but they don't prefabricate them so you'd have to make it yourself, not an easy undertaking.
    Carbs didn't have much fuel pressure so patching it with fuel hose should be relatively safe.

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

I would say spray it down with PB, let it sit a day, and then have at it. Mine didn't want to come loose either, but that and the carb being mounted on the intake still helped.

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

Tnx. for your advice

Chrome is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Like ewill3rd said, cut it on a straight part. And when you replace that part with rubber hose, get an inline filter and toss the one in the carb. They suck...

bigblockcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

hey creeker how does that 368 run..it dosent have the v8-6-4 im sure right!cause that one had some problems with it..so im just wondering how the 368 ran rather than the v8-6-4.. cause i want to look in to getting the 368 ci without the v-8-6-4...your has roughly 150 hp right??

Aaron J Williams is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 61 ragtop,2 67 eldos,68 ragtop,68CDV,89SDV,90 fleet,93 ETC

Cant you just unplug the V8-6-4 wiring or controller to get it to stay a V8?

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

You can cut or put a switch in the wire coming from the transmission that lets the controller know the car is in 3rd gear to disable the modulated displacement function. But it won't make the car run any differantly if the MD function is working properly. Assuming the DFI system is working as well, a MD motor should run better than a carbureted 368.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.