camshaft kit for 425 engine
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, camshaft kit for 425 engine in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My original camshaft seems to be worn down after 100000 miles. intend to replace it with a new one with ...
    kger is offline Cadillac Owners Member

camshaft kit for 425 engine

My original camshaft seems to be worn down after 100000 miles. intend to replace it with a new one with smooth idling characteristics and some torque/performance increase.

Any ideas/expirience with a supplier and type of camshaft that I could use instead of the one with original specs? is there a supplier that offers camshaft kits that include all the necessary parts (gaskets,etc) that are recommended for a camshaft replacement.

thanks for your comments...
    gerry
    (switzerland)

ps:Not looking for hot rod equipment...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Re: camshaft kit for 425 engine

All the "Hot Rod" Cadillac performance places sell milder improvement cams. And how do you know the cam is worn down? 100,000 miles is nothing for a 425! I can't imagine it'd be worn down so soon!
    Check with MTS and Cad Company for some torque improvement cams, like thier RV cams. You may need to upgrade the rocker arms and springs, some of the cams may just require new springs.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

All BB Cad cams will work for the 425.

my 425 has 93k miles.... yet runs as good as ever despite all the sludge buildup in side (under the valve covers... not that bad but eh) and the rebuilt carb could use a little tune... cam seems fine tho.

For stock engine I would say an MTS #3 or #5. The #3 will move the power band LOWER then stock, but with the stock 2.28 gears on the '77-'79 DeVille, it would actually be a better cam... not to mention it is the fuel economy cam, so expect a nice boost in MPG If you want a little more mid-upper end, the #5 is a good choice... it is an updated version of the hottest factory cam... 1972 IIRC? that in a 425 would be a nice improvement as well. The #10, I like but it is pushing the stock valve train (weak link) a little too far for my liking.

If it was me, I would get the #3, just because I have the 2.28 gears, and while I would like to change them, it isn't happeneing soon. Not to mention the car may get low 20's MPG on the highway... it gets 16mpg on the highway as it is now...

cadillacdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Here are a few specs for you. The stock cam valve lift is .457" intake and .473" exhaust
    MTS says the #3 valve lift runs .470-.480 not sure if thats (intake-exhaust)
    that will run around $190.00
    Summit racing has Competition brand cams CCA-94-300-5 runs .465 lift intake and exhaust for $154.69 you can go a little higher for CCA-94-302-5 which runs .481 lift intake and exhaust also for $154.69
    To me it sounds like Competitions CCA-94-300-5 would be a good choice for a close to stock with a little better performance I was unable to find any complete cam kits
    However partsamerica.com has a timing cover gasket set from Fel Pro that looks to have every thing you would need to swap out a cam

Fleetwood472 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 Fleetwood w/ FI 472/ Switch pitch TH400

Does anyone know the lobe separation and duration of the stock factory Cadillac 472/500 cams?

- Justin

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Quote Originally Posted by cadillacdeville
    Here are a few specs for you. The stock cam valve lift is .457" intake and .473" exhaust
    MTS says the #3 valve lift runs .470-.480 not sure if thats (intake-exhaust)
    that will run around $190.00
    Summit racing has Competition brand cams CCA-94-300-5 runs .465 lift intake and exhaust for $154.69 you can go a little higher for CCA-94-302-5 which runs .481 lift intake and exhaust also for $154.69
    To me it sounds like Competitions CCA-94-300-5 would be a good choice for a close to stock with a little better performance I was unable to find any complete cam kits
    However partsamerica.com has a timing cover gasket set from Fel Pro that looks to have every thing you would need to swap out a cam
    If I were doing anything with my 425, and going with an MTS cam, I would personally get a regrind.... just as good, but $120

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

I agree, a VT3 or 5 (reground by Erson) would be great. Use some of the cheap springs while you're in there. Anything is an improvement over a stock cam. The intake opens very late on a stock cam apparently, some say it was to help keep air velocity up... I don't buy it, get anything but a stock spec regrind.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.