500sx
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 500sx in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Just thought I would share my ideas for my summer project (After completion of the Eldo) 1989-1994 Nissan 240sx. Here's ...
    terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

500sx

Just thought I would share my ideas for my summer project (After completion of the Eldo)

1989-1994 Nissan 240sx. Here's the plan:

Firstly:

Obtain this car cheap. $700 max.
    Sell off the engine and trans for $300 or more, depends.

Engine:

Of course, obtain another Cad 500. Plans for this would be some '76 cc heads, lightly ported w/ dished KB's for 10:1 compression. ~550 lift cam, Potters roller tip rockers, OS valves, Edelbrock intake, and some used Holley or something. Grab a TH400 to go with it, do a basic rebuild on that. Should be good for say 400 horses, 500 ft. lbs.

Gutting:

Next, gut the engine bay. Completly. After re-painting and whatever, I drop the engine and tranny in and figure out mounts. Once all that's done the essentials get wired back up. All a/c stuff goes. Also I may ditch the PS. From there I'll just be running an alt. Also thinking about a dry sump oiling system.

Interior:

At first I wanted to gut the interior, but it wouldn't save all that much weight. I plan to simply add a cage and then do whatever for my guages and stuff. Also would be doing some frame braces for obvious purposes.
    Not sure what to do about shifting. I guess I could rig up the linkage for the TH-400 to where I could use a floor (or console, for that matter) shifter, right?

The Rest:

Another thing that I have yet to look into is the rear end. Doing a Ford 9" or something is a lot of work, especially with the IRS these cars have. I do know that the '94+ models had a stronger rear end that was also a posi. I would like to see about swapping one of these in. Cheap and easy. It might break, but I would think the tires would slip before that if I can get it to work. I'm not going to be running slicks or anything.

These cars weigh about 2600 lbs. That's one hell of a power to weight ratio.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Re: 500sx

It will be grand and you can beat (and surprise) the hell out of the ricers at their own game!

I bet dry (w/o NOs) it'll run high 11's

Just hope you get the coupe, and not the hatchback

LaneWvr is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS
    Automobile(s): 81 Coupe DeVille 4/6/8

For the rear-end if you want IRS still you can use Ford T-Bird rear. Thats what they use for Monster Miata's. I'm not sure if it handle a 500 though. Solid rear axle would be your best bet still.

Hm, and that would fit on the 240sx?

I'm not sure how much the rear is going to need to take, and I don't know anything about them really. I just figured the IRS would make things a lot more complicated. It's gotta be cheap too!

+

=

&

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

prepare for handling equal to a bar of soap

I wonder how she'll do with the stock ity bity wheels and tires on there? Probably grip really well, right?

I dunno... I personally have no desire for such a build....

500's are a great thing, but in a small light weight sports car... I dunno... it would be cool, but not my thing... owning a 240SX isn't my thing .

I still think the hot rod 500 powered 1972 Winnebago is far more cooler

a 500 in a 3300lb Camaro would be fast

a 500 in a 2500lb 240SX would be insane!

LaneWvr is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS
    Automobile(s): 81 Coupe DeVille 4/6/8

I've seen sb Chevy's in olded 240Z's before, they through the guy out of the import drags.

Basically my reasons for this build boil down to something very simple. I want something cheap, fast, and fun. I gotta have an RWD car to mess around with. I could start my Charger project, but that would take such a long time and so much money. If I can build something fast on the cheap to mess around with, why not?

you know, I have to say....

in a 240SX and Miata type cars....

for me atleast, it woudln't be a daily driver, more like a fun sports car....

I would *want* a DOHC 4 or 6 cylinders....

simply because I would want to bang thru the gears, rev it up high etc... I don't like DOHC for daily driver use and stuff, but as a sports car when you are mostly driving it fast, its a great thing.... so I personally think I would stick with what it had, and work with that.

They are very different then a muscle car... muscle car is pure power... sports cars have traditonally been modest, even underpowered cars made for the driver... perfect handlings, nice 4/5/6 speed manual transmission... made to connect the driver with the car to the road....

bolting a 500 beast into it, hardly seeing above 5,000RPM using the 3-speed auto TH400... just seems to ruin what the car would be. Yes, it'll be fast, and it would beat other similar cars in a drag race... but personally, it isn't what I would want... While I prefer large American cars with large V8's, I do have a slight desire for a small sports car and such, so if I did, I would want to keep it true to its roots...

The new Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky REALLY got my attention... I got to sit in a Solstice, manual, convertible... such an amazing car, the lady just bought it and loves it.

Yeah I agree with what Rick was saying...

The 240SX was designed to be a fun, zingy, little canyon cruiser that could seat 4 in a pinch.

Putting a 500cid V8 into it will make it very very fast.... in a straight line, but it would be completely unbalanced. These cars never had much low end torque when new, and I think putting a motor that ripples out atleast 360 lb/ft (a 205 lb/ft increase) would kind of ruin the car's main intent.

It's kind of like putting really stiff shocks or springs on a '95 FWB. Sure, It'll handle better, but was a '95 FWB meant to handle good? No.

Now I'm not trying to kill your idea, but this is what I have come up with.
    It will be a very fast car if you can get that power to the ground

I understand, but I think you guys got me wrong. Sports cars are fun, sure. However, I don't want a Nissan. I don't like the 240sx. I am not going to have one as my daily driver, or even as my weekly driver. I like the Cad 500, I like power. I want something that is powerful and RWD to take out and mess around with. Smoke some tires, tear up the streets, maybe take to the track every once in a while, not something to drive around town to the grocery store.

Well if you don't intend on taking this car out in the rain/snow or as a daily driver, its a fine idea.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.