500sx - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 500sx in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; ah ok... so the Nissan was an example? Personally, one of the coolest 500 builds for use in something besides ...
    Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Re: 500sx

ah ok... so the Nissan was an example?
    Personally, one of the coolest 500 builds for use in something besides a Caddy..... not counting the Winnebago and speed boat I want to do some day...is an 80's G-body.

These cars had lines stright from the muscle car days. body on frame, RWD, typical GM mix n match goodies etc....

I have a soft spot in my heart for these cars... I like them alot, especially one of the brands the outside styling is perfect, interior is good, nice chassis.... repaint it, add a sweet sound system and it would be a sweet car.

I personally think the G-body would be a far, far better platform for such a build then a 240SX-type car. Not to mention, the G-body is farily light for what it was... 3,300lbs? Everyone remembers the Grand National and how freakin insanely fast that was with the Turbo SFI 3.8 V6...... picture a 500 with literally twice the HP/torque!

These cars are downright cheap! If you wanna make it a really fun project, find one that is solid, no rust, but fadded paint etc... if you were planning on painting it anyway... maybe do a little interior work and stuff add some nice wheels etc... Plus, you get a car with an amazing history of a nameplate, that means alot (to me personally )

Among the choices:

Buick Regal:

Chevy Monte Carlo:

Pontiac Grand Prix:

and finally, obvisouly my favorite... and yet another car I want....
    Oldsmobile Cutlass! :

my absolute FAVORITE exhaust exit for a car (and this was stock!) this is exactly what I would do to both the DeVilles if/when I get dual exhaust.... love it.

Pretty nice interior for the era..... I add some tint, a nice sound system and you are good.

I think it would be the perfect chassis for a BB Cad... anything smaller of a car would seem like a waste.... unless you want to reinvent the 427 Shelby Cobra

Most these pictures are stock 20 year old cars... loose the vinyl roof, some of the unneeded exterior trim, get a kickass paint job in your favorite color, tint the windows... some nice traditional American wheels like Cragers or something..... it would be a REALLY nice car, perfect package... far more practical then the Charger, much more rounded then a 500 240SX, and a whole lot faster and more nimble then a 1976 Eldorado convertible.... oh yeah, and it'll be Right Wheel Drive

Thats what I would do

Look at the front end of the Buick and Cutlass....

imagine the grille and headlight bezels painted black! damn... that would look so nice....

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass

Out of the G-Bodies, thats the one I would go with
    '87 and '88 were the only years to have the one piece headlights, which looked better IMO. And if its a Cutlass Supreme Brougham, it has the really nice seats and other niceities.

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

Yes, but how much does one of these cars cost, in good condition?

Previous gen Eldorado is really nice too... again, I really like nearly everything about the car....

but its FWD... so unless you want to be at the same spot as you are the '76, you either getta get crafty... which is probably a whole lot more work then its worth... or move on...

I dunno, that car is so sweet, it may be worth the RWD conversion.... I sat in one at the junkyard and loved the loooong hood, the back is short but you don't notice it in the car... very nice car in general.

The front is cool with so much character going on...

Ah yes, I forgot the last 2 years had the composite headlights... yeah, they did look really good!

Quote Originally Posted by terrible one
    Yes, but how much does one of these cars cost, in good condition?
    dirt cheap! I'm tellin ya... nobody wants these as a daily driver (though I woudln't mind) and they aren't old enough to be classics.... to most people they are just an "old car" but when I think of what a regular, REAL car should be... the G-body comes to mind... perfect size, V8 (most) body on frame, RWD etc...

if you want a cream puff to tear out the engine... you'll be surprised how many 85 year old grannys drive these things, then stop driving, and you not have a mint, garage kept 60k mile 20 year old car.... These had Laquer paint, so no stupid GM clear coat problems

The sweetness of a 1988 Cutlass.... the "Oldsmobile" and "Cutlass" nameplate are so worth the whole package!

5,000RPM redline... perfect for a nicely built 500

It would be awesome to do an RWD conversion. But it's expensive. The two main points of the project, again, are cheap and fast. There are hundreds upon hundreds of better cars for a 500 swap than the 240sx, of course. But how many of them are this cheap, and even this light?

I love all of these cars you guys are showing me. They make me want to go buy them.

If you plan on repainting it, something like this....

minor surface rust, needs a repaint, but solid, pretty nice interior, good project car... do the engine/drivetrain shop, send it to Macco for a $600 paintjob (which woudln't look half bad) and you have a kickass, nice looking car

There are better examples tho.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-...QQcmdZViewItem

Another good example in need of some paint:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-...QQcmdZViewItem

For a car with nice paint and stuff they are about $1.5k... still, cheap price for the start of a nice car... some of the Buicks/Chevys even have T-tops...how cool is that?

I don't know how much you are budgeting for a car. I'll tell ya one thing tho, if you are willing to spend as much as $2,000.... you'll get a MINT G-body.

About a 500V8 into a 79-85 Eldorado...

One of my car dreams (other than a 525 hp 460 in a '76 Mark IV) is to put a 350LS6 into a 83 Eldorado Biarritz. Now I'm not sure if that specific motor will fit in that car, I thought since they used 350s in 79 and 80, maybe it would. If not that motor, than something like a 472/500 possibly.

How much work/money would a RWD conversion be?

dude.... G-body, under a grand... most will have fadded paint.. just the nature of the beast. Deal with it, it'll be a super-sleeper.

Once its all done, you can paint it, add ghost flames whatever... but for under a grand you will have a solid, near perfect chassis, mint interior, running and driving. About the downside.... again, would be fadded paint.

Naturally it is a perfect choice for a 500... with Chevy 305's, Olds 307's and 3.8 V6, it shoudln't be too hard to adapt the 500, mounts are avalible. The TH400 will bolt right up, and these cars should all have a 7.5" 10-bolt standard GM rear, you may even luck out with the gearing (probably no Posi tho) and be able to use it for awhile until something else comes along.

Really, the G-body would be a go, with the Eldo being FWD, you wanting a cheap, yet light weight car... what else is there to consider? These things are full frame, RWD... pretty solid cars with nice options.. all power, cruise etc...

Buy one of those examples for $800, you can even drive it as a regular car while the Eldo is getting done, then as a 2nd car, it woudln't be pretty, woudln't be the fastest and woudln't be the best on gas (though not too bad at all) but gosh, talk about double duty... $800 and you get a fully driveable car for the current time, then at a later time it would be perfect to build up with a 500.

Plus, as much as I joke with the Olds 307, its a great engine, yeah, it was a dog in the Broughams... but with nearly 1,000lbs shaved off and more realistic gearing, the 307 in the G-body was pretty stout for the day (rare 442 had 180hp ) Same goes for the 305, good performance (SS had 350 IIRC) and the Buick got the 3.8 V6.. the carbed versions were kinda junky, the FI was pretty good, and for the purpose of a temperary daily driver, would be perfect, the go-fast editions for Buick got the legendary Turbo 3.8 (T-types, GN) All had 4spd trans... IIRC 200R4, maybe the 700.... either way, the TH400 would be a must with the Caddy.

But I know your driving situation right now... a moped woudln't cut it for me persoanlly nor borrowing parents car.... atleast like this you'll have a fully running and driving car for yourself, then make it go-fast when you are ready.... whole lot better then sitting in the driveway taking up space

Or I suppose you could do a cliche and build one out of a Firebird or Camaro....
    But you wouldnt wanna do that now!

I personally woudln't want a 500 in an F-body.

The only one worth doing would be a 1st gen.... yeah, can you say expensive?

so 2nd gen would be a consideration... but eh...

this is alot more money then his idea is right now... plus, I personally don't like the idea of it in general.

Go to a car show how many F-bodys are there? sre they are SBC... but still

go to a car show and how many G-bodys are there?

IMO its just a much better platform, I like the looks and style of the G-body.... would be a better home for the 500 IMO.

Plus.... Oldsmobile didn't make an F-body

I like the '87 Cutlass...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.