New Pics and question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, New Pics and question in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Well Santa was very good to me and brought me my new valve covers. I also got some K&N products ...
    Sasquatch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

New Pics and question

Well Santa was very good to me and brought me my new valve covers. I also got some K&N products as you can see in the picture. My question is this. With the added air flow provided by the X-Stream top and K&N filter is there a chance that I'm getting to much air and leaning out the engine? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

blue_eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 90.5 Allante, 02 Deville, 13 ATS 2.0t

Re: New Pics and question

No problem letting to much air in with the Qjet. The air door will open more to accomodate the addition air flow thus lifting the secondary rods up out of the jets and allowing a proportional amount of fuel in.

Not a Q-jet. I replaced it with an Eldelbrock 1411. Also have headers and dual exhaust.

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

You should be good to go with the K&N, shouldn't make any difference. The headers might help to lean it out though, but I would just check the plugs to see .

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Wow, what a gorgeous engine! I like the headers! The covers are sweet too!

TorqueInc is offline Cadillac Owners Member

That aircleaner without the flow top is able to make more than 880 hp
    the flow top has been known to do strange things to jetting
    Might wanna paint a stocker or get a cheapy chrome one and stick it on there.
    TI

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

Hey TI, mind telling me a bit more about that flow top and what it does to jetting? Just curious

I have both the stock one and an Edelbrock chrome one. I've been running the Edelbrock until I got the flow top for Christmas. I'm gonna try it out and I'll let ya know what the results are. Here is a response I got from Potter on C7. I'm also curious to hear more about the flow top and jetting.

That will not have anything to do with it. It is the air that passes through the venturies that pull fuel through the circuts. Even the shittiest air filter passes about 2800 cfm, your carb, maybe 800 to 825 if it's a stock q jet. Lean condition would be from improper jetting or too small a pump/line. Is that a drop base housing? Reason I say is the filtered lids work well with it, the standard base does not and would need the original top back on because of turbulence.

Does the air filter lid have much clearance between it and the bottom of the hood? I know on my 472, there isn't much room between the air cleaner top and the hood. So it wouldn't make sense for me to install one of those filter tops, unless I added a hood scoop!

You need what is called a drop base housing. It actually sits down on the carb. They have different "drops" I have an 1 3/4" made by K&N and also a 3/8" drop from Edelbrock. I am using the 3/8" drop housing so I would not have any issues with the throttle linkage. I was planning on adding an Edelbrock intake. They add 3 to 4 inches to your carb hieght and this can definetely present hood clearance issues. That's why I bought the 1 3/4" K&N in case I add the Edelbrock. After reading about milling the center divider on the stock intake and getting pretty much the same numbers as the Edelbrock I'm thinking that's the way I'm gonna go when I get around to it.

I have a drop base housing. I just don't have too much clearance from the hood!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.