Go 425! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Go 425! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I thought the Impala SS had lower gears then a 3.08.... like 3.42 or something? 3.08 seems pretty modest for ...
    Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Re: Go 425!

I thought the Impala SS had lower gears then a 3.08.... like 3.42 or something? 3.08 seems pretty modest for a performance Chevy....

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

3.08:1 was the standard rear. I think the 3.42 was optional. I don't think I'd want more than 3.08 for my low revving 472.

bigblockcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

damn that should pick up...when are you gona do it?

The old rear is out (and on eBay for sale), and I'm getting some better control arms for the new rear, and hope to have it and headers installed by Spring!
    Right now, I have cleaned up the whole area around the rear and I am going to paint it with POR-15. I did the engine bay and the outer part of the rear frame about 6 years ago when I installed the engine. It's still holding up good, so I'll paint where the rear end will go now. It should look nice when I'm done!
    The nice thing about the Impala rear I got, besides the 3.08 gears and posi is the disc brakes! It should help slow my boat down better!

I definitly want to find how how the 425 (472?) performs with the 3.08, because that is exactly what I have been thinking about putting in my '79.

I dunno about the Impala rear, but i know rear disc brakes were optional on these cars.... and I later found out the massive drums actually did a better job at slowing the car down then the disc option.... much more contact area, and in the back heat isn't as much of a problem as the front... just something I read once.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    If he brings out his 76 Lincoln that's an easy kill for the 75. 2bbl 460 is no match for a 500!
    Actually IIRC, the '75 Town Coupes were like .5 second quicker in the 1/4 mile than the '75 Coupe deVilles! I think its a 4bbl 460 running like 208hp and 357 lb/ft of torque.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wolf
    I definitly want to find how how the 425 (472?) performs with the 3.08, because that is exactly what I have been thinking about putting in my '79.
    I wonder what would happen if you put like a 4.11:1 rear end into a caddy with a 500 or 425????

I think it would pull like nothing else off the line, and really die at higher rpm's

I dunno about the Impala rear, but i know rear disc brakes were optional on these cars....
    They were standard on the Fleetwoods, but I don't think you could get rear disc on a Deville.

Quote Originally Posted by caddydaddy
    They were standard on the Fleetwoods, but I don't think you could get rear disc on a Deville.
    From what I know, it was optional.

There is a '79 Fleetwood at the junkyard right now with the rear disc brakes also.

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792
    I wonder what would happen if you put like a 4.11:1 rear end into a caddy with a 500 or 425????

I think it would pull like nothing else off the line, and really die at higher rpm's
    It would be comepltly pointless.

I already get tire spin with the stock 425 and 2.28 gears.

4.11 is just insane for any BB Cad.... they simply don't need to rev like a Chevy, they like to tug.

what would happen IF?

It would probably top out 3rd gear around 70mph..... flooring it anywhere from a stop to that would probably equal massive amounts of wheel spin.... yeah it would be a huge kick in the pants, but pretty pointless after that.

interesting interesting.....

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792
    Actually IIRC, the '75 Town Coupes were like .5 second quicker in the 1/4 mile than the '75 Coupe deVilles! I think its a 4bbl 460 running like 208hp and 357 lb/ft of torque.
    If you use the stock shift points, maybe. The 460 gives up 23ft.lbs. for 18hp. His car has NO chance in hell against mine though I guarantee. His 2bbl carb has been replaced at some point, and he thinks it was replaced with one that's too small. So before I race him I'll allow him to swap his 4bbl manifold and Edelbrock carb. I'll still stomp him.

Oh, and 3.73s or 3.42s with a 4L80E would just kick ass.

From what I know, it was optional.
    There is a '79 Fleetwood at the junkyard right now with the rear disc brakes also.
    My 1979 service manual shows how the brake mounts are different on the Fleetwoods and Devilles. And my book shows disc brakes as not being an option in 1979. Limited slip was, but I guess disc brakes weren't!
    I used to have a 1978 Fleetwood, and that had disc brakes as well. And a rear anti-roll bar, both of which my Deville does not.
    One cool thing it did have was the aluminum hood! That bad boy is now on my 79 Deville, and is so much lighter!

Wait... '79 Fleetwood has rear sway bar and DeVille dosn't?

Can this sway bar be installed on the stock 2.28 DeVille rear end?

I know, the aluminum hood is sweet! The '79 Fleetwood at the junkyard has it, but the damn thing has some dents and stuff... I dunno man, it is only $35, so I should just get it....

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    If you use the stock shift points, maybe. The 460 gives up 23ft.lbs. for 18hp. His car has NO chance in hell against mine though I guarantee. His 2bbl carb has been replaced at some point, and he thinks it was replaced with one that's too small. So before I race him I'll allow him to swap his 4bbl manifold and Edelbrock carb. I'll still stomp him.
    If you don't believe me, heres a road test from 1975. Continental V. DeVille V. Lebaron

http://www.imperialclub.com/Articles...ants/index.htm

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.