drop horsepower - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, drop horsepower in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; it's ontop of my 425 right now...
    Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Re: drop horsepower

it's ontop of my 425 right now

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by bigblockcaddy
    i have a question..i know that the 77,78,and 79 all have the 425 but i have always wondered since i have the 79 the last year they made the 425 is it more advanced or have a little bit more spunk because they had a couple years to look over the engine from the 77 to the 79..so would the 79 engine be a little more advanced cause its a later model engine of that car??
    Different year 425's DO have differences. The engines are exactly the same but fuel system parts and calibration differ. Even timing proceedure changes.

bigblockcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by tripleyellow78cad
    my 78 cd 425 is pretty powerful and fast for an old car , it only needs more power on large steep hills , like the i-5 grapevine hill to la
    i live in ca,
    yea my caddy runs great on streets and flatland..but when i go up north kickin it in overdrive i usually stay around 65-70mph but thats about all it will do going up mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ape Man
    Different year 425's DO have differences. The engines are exactly the same but fuel system parts and calibration differ. Even timing proceedure changes.
    Heh... learn something new everyday...

so which is "best"?

Quote Originally Posted by bigblockcaddy
    yea my caddy runs great on streets and flatland..but when i go up north kickin it in overdrive i usually stay around 65-70mph but thats about all it will do going up mountains.

There is no Over Drive on these cars.

My '79 has no problem going up any hills... stays in 3rd gear and just goes.

bigblockcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

well what is it when you push the pedal all the way to the floor and all the cylinders kick in like all fast and are pumping fast???when i do this it sounds like a 350 and a suburban like a big roar

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

In your 425 all cyls. are on at all times. When you floor it, it will rev out and open the secondary barrels of the carburetor, that could be what you're describing.

An overdrive is generally a gear in the transmission (occasionally entire units that bolt up to the back of the trans.) When in overdrive, the output shaft is rotating faster than the engine is.

Yeah, you are describing the secondaires on the carburator opening up to allow maxium fuel/air into the engine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.