engine diagram pic
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, engine diagram pic in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Ok, I found a shop manual on ebay for my 74' 500 motor... I was recently able to rotate the ...
    74eldog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 74 Eldorado

engine diagram pic

Ok, I found a shop manual on ebay for my 74' 500 motor...

I was recently able to rotate the motor by hand,,, (been sitting for 10yrs)

At this point since i was able to get it to rotate; i'm thinking about leaving it in and pulling the heads for a rebuild???

However, i would really love to pull the engine to clean, paint and put new gaskets on it....but, i need to find out what the mounting points for the motor,...

Does anyone have a engine diagram?

Also where is the flywheel cover on this vehicle; does the flywheel and converter come off as a unit?

I know on my chevy the converter and flywheel must separate in order for the engine to be pulled....

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

Re: engine diagram pic

Mouting points are the motor mounts, a brace that connects to the axle, and 3 or 4 bolts on the trans. After pulling the starter you can rotate the flywheel until each of the 3 bolts you have to remove comes into view, and remove them. This will seperate the converter from the flywheel. After that you've just got to pull the engine towards the front of the car to clear the trans and you're good to go.

Thanks Terrible one; I knew you would answer....

Ok, thanks after i recover from the weekend i will get on removing the starter this week; I never removed the dollies from the rear wheels when i got it towed home and i jacked it up in the the front to look under it; when i let the jack down it had rolled forward approx 3 inches.

I took 4 of us to push it back in the garage. The first thing i did yesterday was chock the front wheels, made sure it was in park and pulled the dollie from under to prevent it from rolling.....

I'm almost scared to jack it to pull the starter and disconnect the motor mounts....

I wish you luck!

Just take your time, iirc the nuts on the studs of the mounts are kind of hard to get to, but you can do it. Don't lift it too high to get the mounts though, because taht would put stress on your tranny casing and possibly crack it (remember, it's aluminum).

Basically if you just get everything off, triple check, and take your time, you will be good to go.

Thanks for your vote of confidence.

The studs on the exhaust manifold seems to be the challenge at this time...

I'll keep u updated.

You mean the studs connecting to the lead pipes? What I did was spray them with PB for a couple days whenever I could, and because I was too cheap to buy a deep well socket, cut them shorter with the grinder. Came out pretty smooth. Can't say the same for the exhaust manifold bolts. I sprayed them with PB and Sea Foam for damn near a month, every day, and still managed to snap 4 of them.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by terrible one
    You mean the studs connecting to the lead pipes? What I did was spray them with PB for a couple days whenever I could, and because I was too cheap to buy a deep well socket, cut them shorter with the grinder. Came out pretty smooth. Can't say the same for the exhaust manifold bolts. I sprayed them with PB and Sea Foam for damn near a month, every day, and still managed to snap 4 of them.
    That's because the happy spray cannot reach the threads.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ape Man
    That's because the happy spray cannot reach the threads.
    Actually, after that long, it did. I thought the claims about it creeping up them were false, but each one I pulled out had some of it on the threads. Some of them were drenched with it because, iirc, some of holes are open ended, so I could douse them from that side too.

Either way, you are doing really well if you don't break any bolts off in the heads.

Actually, i was speaking of the manifold bolts but, it would probably be easier to disconnect from the lead pipes first... and then pulling the heads, and let the machine shop get the manifolds off the heads if i can't;since they're going to do head work anyway.....

Basically if they don't come out, they are going to have to be drilled and tapped. Even if you can coax a really bad one out, the threads will usually be pretty bad.

JTraik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '68 DeVille '95 FWB '99 Eldo '96 Cummins Ram 5MT

IMO, borrowing a torch saves the most time and money.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by JTraik
    IMO, borrowing a torch saves the most time and money.
    True. Many times you can get away with a Propane torch for manifold studs. It takes some time to get them aglow. Maybe Mapp gas would be better.
    Replace the nuts with brass nuts and they will always come right off.
    Always keep fire protection equipment around when playing with fire.

Well thanks for all of the positive replies....

I really would like to pull the motor but, because the front end is facing the garage door,there is no way to pull the motor without the hoist hitting the door...

Now i could put the hoist on the passenger side of the car and run the risk of the motor hitting the fender.....

I'm really not concerned with anything on this engine...

The motor just hit 100k ,,, 20k of it belonged to my father in law who was a mechanic... He loved that Eldo, and if there was anything major wrong with it he would have fixed it....

I do plan to change the timing chain also..... I would hate to do a bunch of top end work and then have to tear it down to put a timing chain....

my shop manual is on the way, so once i put my tranny back in my el camino, this weekend... I'll start cleaning degreasing, etc...

Ps... I pulled the starter and alternator off to get tested,,,, the starter is STILL GOOD, alt is weak and will need replaced....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.