Pictures of 425....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Pictures of 425.... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I forgot when we did the engine work on the 425, I took some pictures with my camera phone.... they ...
    Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Pictures of 425....

I forgot when we did the engine work on the 425, I took some pictures with my camera phone....

they didn't come out that good, but eh, better then nothing.

Its hard to see, but the heads/rockers are gunked up quite a bit.... I dunno, I have seen worse, but it is the worst of my 3 cars...it can't be good, but the 425 dosn't seem to care.

My father said it is probably from lack of regular oil changes over the years and just general heat build up, the bottom of the valve covers were really bad, though I cleaned them up nice with the parts cleaner.

I bet being owned by an old lady in FL for the majority of the cars life, it was just driven to the store and stuff.... oil never had time to heat up, and this is exactly what happens with moisture/acid are left in the oil and stuff.... running an engine without it getting up to operating temp... ah well... one day this car will have a hefty 500

has 91k origanal miles on it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

Re: Pictures of 425....

Cool deal. HEre are some pics of the 500 from wayyyy back.

Much before the "performance rebuild" started

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

My '79 425 had a lot of gunk under the valve covers as well at 119k miles as well.

Is that pretty normal for this old of a car?

The engine runs fine, starts easy, idles really smooth.... you would think its a new engine. Plenty of power for what it is etc...

Does all that gunk really bother anything? or it just kinda sits there and minds its own business. I know I am not thinking twice about driving it from NY to FL in about a week.

The valley was somewhat clean, lifters, cam etc... just the upper parts of the engine, that leads me to believe that maybe it is from heat build up over time, low quality oil in the 70's and lots of short trips over the years.

Yeah, I had a bit of sludge in the rocker area as well, but really not much at all. As you can see, my valley was kind of bad (thats after I dumped the oil and sludge out of it).

I wouldn't worry about the gunk, it's not to the point where it's choking the engine! Just make sure it gets regular oil changes with a good detergent oil, and it should clean itself up.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Man if you think any of those pics are dirty you should've seen the 425 in my 78 Brougham. The car had 170, 270, or *70k miles on it and it was so damn funky in there... I used degreasing foam under the valve covers and it took a good 4 or 5 applications before I could even SEE the metal. I almost doubt it ever got an oil change until I bought it (it died anyway.)

so I really hav nothign to worry about on my 425?

the oil gets black fast.... like within 1,000 miles it is black.... just about as black, if not darker, then the oil in the 4.9.... after 5,000 miles.

ofcrouse because of that, and the fact it dosn't get as much use, I change the oil averaging every 2,000miles.

* Since I plan on pulling the 425 in place of a performance 500... its kinda a shame I'll never see how far it will go etc....

with 91k origanal miles, I know there are LOTS of miles left on the 425 and the TH400...... about as much life as new cars too.....

I think I am going to go thru with my minor performance build on the 425 before the maor 500 build.... even though its the forgetten engine, I kinda have a soft spot for it

bigblockcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

hey guys my name is pat and i have a question concerning my 1979 caddy sedan deville..ok i live in phoenix az where it is flat land and i go up north sometimes where as you know the elevation rises..my question is when i push my caddy into overdrive by pushing it all the way to the floor to actually get some speed going up mountains this little orange light always lights up when i push it a little hard or just when i give it gas fast it comes on for a sec..what is this light and maybe what does it mean when it comes on..if anyone knows please help me..thnx guys

Quote Originally Posted by bigblockcaddy
    .my question is when i push my caddy into overdrive by pushing it all the way to the floor to actually get some speed going up mountains this little orange light always lights up when i push it a little hard or just when i give it gas fast it comes on for a sec..what is this light and maybe what does it mean when it comes on..if anyone knows please help me..thnx guys
    Sounds like one of the warning lights, like for the alternator. Can't really say unless you can tell which one it is.

tripleyellow78cad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

sounds like your caddy came with the fuel economy lights , they will glow if you have good , or bad fuel economy,

or its your temp, generator, or oil pres warning light

hope this helps

I thought only the EFI cars came with the economy lights. And if that was the case, the light should be on all the time under WOT. Fuel economy sucks under WOT!
    I know the generator light is orange, and the oil pressure light is red. But I can't remember the temp light color.

Eldyfig is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)

I believe the temp light was red also.

When I opened up the 455 I had years ago, I actually picked large chunks of caked gunk out from under the valley pan. The motor ran good before I went in there. That gunk just sat there on the baffle above the crank.

The carb cars came with economy lights as well, my '76 Eldo has them, though they don't work.

IIRC the temp light and oil pressure light are red.

bigblockcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

the caddy i have is the 4bbl but i dont think its the overheat light cause it has one that says engine temp..but why would it be economy lights when i dont have my lights on..??

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.