Cadillac Owners Forum banner
5K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  terrible one 
#1 ·
I know this may seem stupid but here goes. What is a baffled valve cover? Are stock 472 valve covers baffled? Trying to convince my wife to order me some nice aftermarket valve covers with the Cadillac script and powder coating from one of the vendors. Should I get them "baffled"? Like I said may sound stupid but I just don't know the terminology. Can't learn if you don't ask.

#2 ·
A baffled valve cover has a plate, or guard that runs across the inside of it to keep oil from splashign up to the PCV valve port and being sucked in to the carb. You probably won't want to make all sorts of holes in those nice CAddy script valve covers, so I would just run no baffle, and an oil fill on one side, breather on the other. However, if you want to run PCV then you need a baffled valve cover.

#3 ·
They can't baffle them. Trying to tack something on inside would screw up the powder coating. Don't you need to run the PCV? I was going to do so. Told them to locate the hole at the rear of the passenger side cover. Nothing is written in stone yet so I still can change my mind. Can I run PCV without a baffle. Do they make a PCV valve for this purpose? If I remember right reading in my manual the PCV helps to pull the gases from the valve covers creating an "air flow" of sorts. I need to go back and read that section again.

#4 ·
Yeah, I didn't think they could baffle those aesome valve covers. You don't need to run the PCV, it's for emissions. You cna run the PCV without a baffle by getting a baffled grommet, just doesn't work as well. You don't need to run one, what it does is take the gasses and suck them into the carb to be burned. A breather vents these gasses just the same, only it lets them escape into the atmostphere instead of burning them off.

Where are you getting your covers from?

#5 ·
terrible one said:
Yeah, I didn't think they could baffle those aesome valve covers. You don't need to run the PCV, it's for emissions. You cna run the PCV without a baffle by getting a baffled grommet, just doesn't work as well. You don't need to run one, what it does is take the gasses and suck them into the carb to be burned. A breather vents these gasses just the same, only it lets them escape into the atmostphere instead of burning them off.

Where are you getting your covers from?
Sure it will run without a PCV... upon comubustion, exhaust is pushed by the piston rings into the crankcase. These gases are full of acids and other harmful chemicals. These chemicals WILL destroy and eat away at parts over time. So they came out with PCV which allows the gases to be sucked up through the heads and sent through the engine cycle again to be burnt up completely.

If your worried about how it looks, i would drill a hole in the back of one of the valve covers and place the grommet there.

#7 ·
Yeah I just finished reading my manual. Where do the excess gasses vent to without the PCV? Wonder if the breather will be pushed out on the other side due to more pressure. This is just a stock 472 with headers and duals. Thanks for your inpu T.O. your always a big help and willing to exchange ideas. Here's the link to where I'm getting them. He told me he sells to Flashcraft and few others.

http://www.yourcovers.com/vc_7872-2.shtml

#8 ·
Without the PCV, and just a breather, the gases will be vented into the engine bay, unless the breather is directly attached to the air cleaner, in which case they will be sucked into the engine with a similar effect as a pcv valve.

I wouldn't buy from Flashcraft. I would really like a set of these but they are just so expensive, even bare. After the engraving, powdercoating, and painting of the script, it's wayyy up there.

However, I think that I actually may need them now. Someone said my rockers might be hitting the stock height covers now.

#9 ·
I was thinking far back on top. What do you guys think? Will I then be able to use the extended baffled PCV grommet in that location? Will there be any rocker arm issues in this location? What size hole will I need them to mill? The standard hole on my exsiting covers is 1". Is this the same size as the baffled grommet? Thanks.

#14 ·
Go with the baffled grommet and then this.

VALVE COVER BREATHER PUSH-IN STYLE PCV
This push-in style PCV oil filler cap is chrome-plated for lasting beauty and fits most valve covers with 1.25” diameter holes.

#15 ·
#18 ·
I think you will be alright with a baffled grommet. Either that, or you could tack a baffle in there when it's raw and have it painted or powdercoated later, or better yet have a vendor do it for you.

There is adequate room between the last rocker and the rear of the cover. Same goes for top of rocker arm to top of valve cover. You'll have room to do a grommet, and probably a shallow baffle but I don't know for sure

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.