Hey Quadrajet people
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Hey Quadrajet people in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I was just wondering how some of you have your quadrajets set up. I have a 76 500 with 76 ...
    cadder2000 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1982 fleetwood w/ 500cid, 1990 Brougham 'D Elegance 5.7

Hey Quadrajet people

I was just wondering how some of you have your quadrajets set up. I have a 76 500 with 76 q-jet. stock setup calls for .070 primary jets .039 primary rods, and DH secondary rods. I had the thing rebuilt awhile back and the guy at the carb shop said that the primary rods that were in it were 40Ls. Since then I have messed around with the primary jetting and have gone from 70s to 74s. Right now I am running 72 primarys. The throttle response with 70s was much better but the top end seems to suffer, kind of goes flat around 3500 rpm. My thoughts were to move to fatter rods while moving up in the primary size also. I think this should give crisp throttle response while keeping cruise metering the same and giving me more power at WOT. Don't know if I should mess with secondary rods. I haven't messed much with q-jets much until now but thought I would give them a chance. I'm trying to balance decent gas mileage during cruise, but having power available when I want it. My engine upgrades are : around 9.2-9.5 compression, modified intake with carb spacer,MTS #10 cam, 2.5 in dual exhaust. Let me know what you Q-jet fans are running. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BluEyes is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1970 Sedan deVille hardtop

Re: Hey Quadrajet people

There is an excellent article out there on Q-jet tuning by a guy named Lars Grimsrud. Goggle that, it's long, but throughly goes through the tuning procedure for a Q-jet. Very different from what tuning a Holley would be.
    Honestly, if your engine is still stock, I'd go back to that and start there (also Lars' advice). GM spent alot of time tuning these carbs at the factory.
    Oh, as for your bog, that might be the secondary air door, or the vacuum can. Google Q-jet and Damon. He has a number of great tips on his site. No sense in me typing a bunch when he already has.

cadder2000 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1982 fleetwood w/ 500cid, 1990 Brougham 'D Elegance 5.7

Thanks for the good info

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

I looked up that lars grimsrud website, it's great , lots of info. tnx.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.