HELP! Stuck in Atlanta! 69 472 will not stay running and I NEED to leave!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, HELP! Stuck in Atlanta! 69 472 will not stay running and I NEED to leave! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey all, I don't know if you remember, but I'm the guy who four months back bought an old limo ...
    ammason is offline Cadillac Owners Member

HELP! Stuck in Atlanta! 69 472 will not stay running and I NEED to leave!

Hey all,

I don't know if you remember, but I'm the guy who four months back bought an old limo and chopped the top off and drove it across the states. Well, I'm stuck in Atlanta and need to get to NY by Sunday to make my flight to Egypt.

Here's my problem. The day before yesterday (and every day for the last 3000 miles) the car was driving fine. I pulled up to a stoplight on a hill, and when I went to take off, the car sputtered a little and then took off. The next morning I started it up just fine, made it to downtown Atlanta, started up a hill, and halfway up is sputtered and died, like it wasn't getting any fuel. I backed it down the hill onto level ground, fired it up and it ran just fine. I got back on the hill, made it to the top, and then it died again. I was able to get it into a parking lot, and when I try it now I can get it to sputter on a few cylinders, but haven't been able to get it moving.

When it stopped ruinning, it was acting the way it does when it runs out of gas - popping and losing power in spurts. When I pulled it over I pumped a bunch of gas into it and tried to start it, and it wouldn't start. It filled the exhaust system with unburnt fuel, and ended up backfiring at the muffler (there was a small leak). Now when I try to turn it over, I get it firing on a couple of cylinders, and if I keep the throttle closed it can stay sputtering and moving, but the second I try to open the throttle it starts sucking a lot of air and dies. I've replaced the spark plugs and opened up/cleaned out the carburetor (there was nothing but gas in there to begin with), but it still won't stay running. I'm wondering if it got clogged briefly and then got flooded, but I haven't had any luck with it at all.

I just sold the car on eBay and I need to get it to Knoxville. If anyone is in the Atlanta area or knows someone who can help, please le tme know. I would also be interested in just offloading it right now at a severly discounted price (the woman on eBay bought it for $4300, but I'd honestly be willing to take 1/2 that jost to make my flight), because, like I said before, my flight to Cairo leaves Sunday.

Every homeless person on the street has been bugging the hell out of me telling me what the problem is (pointing at the alternator and saying "your starter's out") and then getting mad when I tell them they're not helping. If there's anything you can do to help, please let me know.

Cheers!

Aaron

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1310monster is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: HELP! Stuck in Atlanta! 69 472 will not stay running and I NEED to leave!

It sounds like the fuel filter. The Q jet, has either a paper element in it or the brass type. You have to take the fuel line off then take the bigger nut off right behind where the gas line screwed into it. There is probably another filter inline somewhere too between carb and fuel pump. I can't explain why it does not run better after changing the plugs out though. Maybe there was still enough residual gas in the cylinders to deaden them at start up. Take the plugs back out, dry them off, then crank the engine over a few times with them out. Reinstall, see if that helps.

Rocky

JTraik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '68 DeVille '95 FWB '99 Eldo '96 Cummins Ram 5MT

Quote Originally Posted by 1310monster
    It sounds like the fuel filter. The Q jet, has either a paper element in it or the brass type. You have to take the fuel line off then take the bigger nut off right behind where the gas line screwed into it. There is probably another filter inline somewhere too between carb and fuel pump. I can't explain why it does not run better after changing the plugs out though. Maybe there was still enough residual gas in the cylinders to deaden them at start up. Take the plugs back out, dry them off, then crank the engine over a few times with them out. Reinstall, see if that helps.

Rocky
    Yes it does sound like a fuel filter... there is one on the carb but there is also one near the pump... a larger one. Hope you have a pistol.

dyin-tryin is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hey there,
    I had a similar problem with my truck. It's a 500 in a 66 F 100. It ended up being sediment in the gas tank that plugged up the fuel pump. I disconnected the line running into the pump and put a rag around an air hose and crammed it down the filler spout. You have some hills to climb between Atlanta and Knoxville, but if you can get it to exit 27 just north of Chattanooga I be glad to try to help you with it. Call if you need to. (423) 479-7748 Gary

Good luck

dyin-tryin

Nrets is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Were you low on gas when it stalled? If so, adding gas to the tank is not enough in these old cars. Splash a few ounces of gas or starter fluid in to the carb and crank it. If it starts, hold the idle up until it is warm.

Sasquatch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Wonder what happened?

JTraik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '68 DeVille '95 FWB '99 Eldo '96 Cummins Ram 5MT

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    Wonder what happened?
    Ever been to Atlanta? His car is probably under some bridge serving as a home. And the hobos probably stripped him and hid him in a switch yard.

Or he fixed it and is in transit!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.