Post HEI conversion questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Post HEI conversion questions in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Thanks to everyone who gave me advise on the HEI conversion I was considering a while back. I finally did ...
    Nrets is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Post HEI conversion questions

Thanks to everyone who gave me advise on the HEI conversion I was considering a while back. I finally did it and was amazed at how easy it really is to change out a distributor. I even was able to figure out the timing and get it all aligned so that it runs smooth with limited knowledge I had from this site and from watching other dudes adjust my timing before. And the thoing runs beuatifully...when I warm it up all the way and advance the timing; In the process of changing out the distributor I further stripped an already stripped stud and bolt. My question is, does the stud the distributor clamp bolts on to, pull out of the block...or am I up s%#! creek.
    I'm pretty sure it pulls out...so I was basically wondering what is the best way to pull it out. Right now I have it bolted down just enough so that it doesn't come flying apart....I constantly have to pull over and adjust the thing. I'm glad I don't have a hot wire to the coil anymore. That would suck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

Re: Post HEI conversion questions

Glad to hear your conversion went well.

I had this same problem. I simply got out the dremel, cut me a nice slit in the top, and backed it out with a flat head. I'm sure there are more "professional" ways to do it though.

Nrets is offline Cadillac Owners Member

That's an awesome idea. I'm not going to jump right to it, however, because last time I jumped to pulling out a stuck part in this car, I broke the stud off a steering wheel puller in the column, and that was with the correct tools. Any other suggestions...do stud pullers work as well as dremeling the top of the stud and using a screw driver?

Colt D is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1968 Deville Convertible

Put two nuts on the bolt so that they touch and then use the bottom nut to back out the block from the block. Unless the bokt is hella stripped, it should work.

Quote Originally Posted by Colt D
    Put two nuts on the bolt so that they touch and then use the bottom nut to back out the block from the block. Unless the bokt is hella stripped, it should work.
    See, that's what I mean by a "more professional way" lol

Bad69Cad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1969 Cadillac, 1960 Cadillac

i have a craftsman stud remover that attaches to a socket wrench that pulled mine out easy, i ended up replacing my holddown with a billet piece thats held in by a ss hex bolt so i dont have to worry about it again

Yeah, I think I am going to replace mine with a bolt as well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.