Cadillac 500 Install
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Cadillac 500 Install in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey Guys, I have had a 1977 Chevy Caprice Areoback Coupe Since I could drive. I painted it in College, ...
    NTRCOOL is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 90 Fleetwood Brougham

Cadillac 500 Install

Hey Guys,

I have had a 1977 Chevy Caprice Areoback Coupe Since I could drive. I painted it in College, tore it apart thinking about rebuilding the stock motor, and my friend gave me the Idea to put a Cadillac 500 into it instead. So I have a 71 or 72 500 from an Elderodo and a TH400 From a 83 i think Sedan Deville(Also the motor mounts off the 368 that came out of it as well). I Have bolted the motor and trans together installed the motor mounts, removed the air-pump bracket which was clearly in the way of positioning the motor. Currently the motor is suspended in the engine compartment it only has maybe two inches before it hits the firewall, the shift mechanism looks like it will hit the cylinder head, and the motor needs to move about 4inches back to place the motor mounts down on the rubber part of the mount on the frame. Now From what I had heard the Deville is a B-body my caprice is a B-body so am at a point where I am calling out for any help from anyone who has done something like this already. Any links to former build threads will help too. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the APEMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1980 FBC

Re: Cadillac 500 Install

IIRC the frame motor mounts need to be moved forward. The 368 donor car would have been an '80, '81 or a later limo.

The Eldorado oil pan, oil pickup and oil pump need to be changed to the type on the 368.

A right angle molded heater hose installed on the rear of the passenger side cylinder head before lowering the engine makes life easier. Years ago it was a Gates 20662 but they have changed numbers. It was a Chrysler Slant-6 bypass hose.

Dropping that trans and engine in together is not fun.

I hope it's a '72 engine instead of '71. Better cam.

NTRCOOL is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 90 Fleetwood Brougham

So the Caprice Frame mounts need to be moved Forward they are in the spot for the 350. So is there more holes so it can be moved forward with out some kind of bracket? I will check this weekend.

the APEMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1980 FBC

Not sure if the holes are there. GM could have made a few more frames out of those holes along the run

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.