Distributor Points Screws and Pertronix
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Distributor Points Screws and Pertronix in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey Guys, Stupid question/topic but where can I get a new set of points breaker plate screws that hold the ...
    Cristofo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Sedan De Ville, 1970 Cadillac Coupe De Ville

Distributor Points Screws and Pertronix

Hey Guys,

Stupid question/topic but where can I get a new set of points breaker plate screws that hold the points to the distributor. Do they come with a set of new points from like Autozone/Pepboys? I can't seem to locate them or find the size of the screw itself.

Reason being, I do not know where I put the screws when i removed the points from my car to install the Pertronix Ignitor. Right now I have a set of taper headed screws that came with the Accel Points eliminator kit but I feel like they will come loose and need to be tighter.

Does anyone know the size of these screws or can I buy direct replacement screws or do they come with new Points?

While I'm on the subject...I installed the pertronix and removed the ballast resistor (cylinder on coil) from the coil when I installed a SuperStock Coil from Accel not knowing the resistor wire was still in line. I need to run a wire and bypass the stock resistor wire but my question is, how is the Pertronix unit running on such low voltage (around 5 volts). I have the resistor wire currently hooked up with the unit and super coil but the car runs good but with low idle. When it gets the full 12v will this dramatically increase the power I'm getting currently?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the APEMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1980 FBC

Re: Distributor Points Screws and Pertronix

Resistance wires do not drop voltage by a set amount. the voltage drop depends on the current being drawn by the ignition system.

Modern ignitions have very short pulse width on times and average current draw can be much less than the old spark coil and condenser setup.

I've used GM HEI on a few older points equipped cars and not bothered to take out the resistance wire. They worked fine for years.

Take care to use the proper ballast resistor with super coils and other happy parts. Some of those need less voltage to work or they will launch the control modules or run like death warmed over. In other words RTM carefully A.K.A. RTFM.
    Cristofo likes this.

Cool thanks! I ordered the cd rom factory manuals, got every manual online for $30 and should be here by Tuesday.. I still want the paperback version but this will due. I couldn't find a paperback manual for less than $45 and since I get every manual produced for the 1970 on CD, I'm more than pleased.

I bypassed my heater core and changed the oil today (Purolator PureOne and Rotella Triple T HD 10w30). I also checked out the wiring for the coil/pertronix...I traced the braided resistance wire all the back to the group of wires by the firewall and untaped them. I couldn't figure out which was the ignition wire since the braided wire went further back and what almost seemed to go into the firewall. Is it easier to run a wire through the firewall, under the dash? Which wire specifically should I use under the dash, color, size, etc? I'm using an Accel SuperStock coil which also can run on 12v so no worries on burning up a stock one.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Run the coil and Pertronix on the proper voltage. 12 volts is used ONLY for starting - then, when the key is released to RUN the resistance wire/resistor drops voltage to 5 - 8 volts. NORMAL.

I use several different Pertronix Ignitors and coils in my marine engine rebuild business and every one of them runs on less than 12 volts. NORMAL.

You are apparently working on the mistaken impression that 12 volts somehow gives "better" spark. Wrong.

Run the ACCEL coil on the proper voltage - 5 - 8 volts, too. Run it on 12 if you like, but you'll spend bucks keeping ignitors and coils in the car. Go ahead and run the engine for 15 minutes with a full system voltage (14 Volts) to the coil. Open the hood, grab the coil, then go to the emergency room for burn treatment.

Hit a junkyard and pull a couple of distributors. Make up a parts box.

(You also received the same advice from me and others in your vacuum thread.)

I'm actually trying to hook it up correctly but I'm not sure. Better spark would just be a benefit if there was anyway. Currently I have the positive wire from the pertornix hooked up directly to the positive terminal on the coil with the resistance wire hooked up as well in stock format. Everything I've read so far is telling me to bypass the resistance wire and that is my current issue which I'm not understanding. I should have my factory manual this week so I won't bother anyone on here anymore.

only reason I created a new thread is because I still am not comfortable with the screws holding down the pertronix unit to the plate. Its crazy that they want you to use the old screws, they sell it without new screws which is dumb.

I search all throughout this forum to find information but there is alot of contradictions.

Old screws = dumb ??? Most, if not all, of the original Delco distributors from the late 60s - 70s that I modify use the original breaker plate and screws.

Dig around in here ...................

https://www.google.com/search?q=pert...x-a&channel=sb

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Old screws = dumb ??? Most, if not all, of the original Delco distributors from the late 60s - 70s that I modify use the original breaker plate and screws.

Dig around in here ...................

https://www.google.com/search?q=pert...x-a&channel=sb
    I don't mind using the old screws, but they don't even provide a set with the kit which is dumb. I also know how to use google and have used it for this topic. I'm curious why you're wasting your time on this post if you seem annoyed by something I wrote.

Sorry that I wasted your time. I tried to give you the benefit of 23 years of experience with Pertronix, ACCEL and Delco distributor modifications. Best of luck with your car.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Do you have a Tractor Supply in your neck of the woods? I was looking at the small screws there and the small screws I need for my moulding clips look an awful lot like those points screws. I wanna say 6-32, could be smaller, but any store with a good selection should have something close enough.
    Cristofo likes this.

[QUOTE=Submariner409;13023418]Sorry that I wasted your time. I tried to give you the benefit of 23 years of experience with Pertronix, ACCEL and Delco distributor modifications. Best of luck with your car.[/QUOTE

you didn't waste my time im appreciative of all the help I get but your tone is off or im reading it wrong. Maybe its a generation gap thing, I feel like were misunderstanding each other.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
    Do you have a Tractor Supply in your neck of the woods? I was looking at the small screws there and the small screws I need for my moulding clips look an awful lot like those points screws. I wanna say 6-32, could be smaller, but any store with a good selection should have something close enough.
    I'm not sure I'll check around and I think you're right about the screw thread size but I'll grab a few sizes and try em out. Thanks!

Sorry if you took offense - I am NOT a warm, fuzzy beat around the bush advisor. I lay it on the line - take it or leave it. If I didn't know what I was talking about you would never hear from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Sorry if you took offense - I am NOT a warm, fuzzy beat around the bush advisor. I lay it on the line - take it or leave it. If I didn't know what I was talking about you would never hear from me.
    I don't even disagree with your advice, but I don't think what I was trying to say came across correctly. I don't want more power/spark, i just want to hook it up correctly. They say if you use a stock coil and have a resistance wire leave as is, but if you have an aftermarket coil to bypass and run 12V to the + side of the pertronix. I just want to find the correct 12V wire so I can hook up the red pertronix wire before the resistance wire. Currently I just have the pertronix red wire hooked directly to the positive terminal of my coil along with the stock wire that hooked up to the stock positive coil terminal. My idle is really low, so not sure the pertronix has anything to do with it, otherwise it runs good. I also need to check and set the idle screws because I assume the idle is too low. I'm not chasing power, I just want my car to run smooth and to be hooked up correctly with no vacuum leaks.

chrisntam is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Deville Convertible

I know you're looking for a factory service manual, here's one. Offer him $20 to $25 and I bet he'll sell!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Cadilla...a91617&vxp=mtr

----------

I'd follow what the Petronix directions suggest. My MSD distributor said hook it up to 12 volts. The manufacturer generally knows best!

----------

I have a suggestion with the vacuum system. Disconnect the heater/a/c vac hoses from the engine and be sure and cap the source. If it runs better w/ that disconnected, you know you have a vacuum leak somewhere in that system. That's what I'm about to do with mine........I doubt the low idle has anything to do w/ spark, but possibly timing or carb or vacuum leak......Mines not running 100% either..........

Quote Originally Posted by chrisntam View Post
    I know you're looking for a factory service manual, here's one. Offer him $20 to $25 and I bet he'll sell!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Cadilla...a91617&vxp=mtr

----------

I'd follow what the Petronix directions suggest. My MSD distributor said hook it up to 12 volts. The manufacturer generally knows best!

----------

I have a suggestion with the vacuum system. Disconnect the heater/a/c vac hoses from the engine and be sure and cap the source. If it runs better w/ that disconnected, you know you have a vacuum leak somewhere in that system. That's what I'm about to do with mine........I doubt the low idle has anything to do w/ spark, but possibly timing or carb or vacuum leak......Mines not running 100% either..........
    I think i'm going to visit the car tonight so I'll check that out. I bought a CD rom manual which included the shop and body manuals for 30$. I got it yesterday so I was having fun all night looking through it, so many things have been cleared up after reading the factory manual. I might still offer him less and see if I can grab a paperback as well that way I can bring to the car if needed...As of right now I'll be bringing my laptop with me, lol. I'm like 95% there with the vacuum leak, i was able to get everything hooked up except i'm a little weary about the check valve on the fire wall, replacement on ebay for 35$

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.