Distributor Points Screws and Pertronix - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Distributor Points Screws and Pertronix in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I believe the thread is an 8/32 x 1/4"...I had a 8/32 x 1/2" and that was too long. I ...
    Cristofo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Sedan De Ville, 1970 Cadillac Coupe De Ville

Re: Distributor Points Screws and Pertronix

I believe the thread is an 8/32 x 1/4"...I had a 8/32 x 1/2" and that was too long. I will go to home depot or lowes to see if they have the correct size screws I need. I also checked my idle mixture screws and they seemed to be way to far out, I rotated clockwise until they were lightly seated and I will go from there when I get the car started again. I will go counter-clockwise 6 turns and adjust from there.

Just to follow up, never lose your points screws or you will need to buy a replacement distributor or find one in a junkyard somewhere that still has the distributor so you can get the screws. Otherwise, you need a 8/32 x 1/4" give or take length for those screws if anyone is curious. Every place I went to look doesn't carry a size that small, home depot, lowes, local hardware store. I'm sure I can order them online somewhere, but thats always my last resort for something like this.

chrisntam is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Deville Convertible

I see the factory service manual (on eBay) sold based on the "best offer". Was it you??? Hope so! It's pretty nice to have it to browse through. I like it so much, I have two of them.

On the screws, what about going to a "hardware" store? I mean a true, old fashioned one, not like Ace or True Value. I bet they have what you need. What about a nut/bolt supplier in the area? If the hardware store doesn't have them, ask them who their supplier is. What about grinding or cutting down a longer one to get to the 1/4" length? Not sure how you'd hold it while grinding or filing.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisntam View Post
    I see the factory service manual (on eBay) sold based on the "best offer". Was it you??? Hope so! It's pretty nice to have it to browse through. I like it so much, I have two of them.

On the screws, what about going to a "hardware" store? I mean a true, old fashioned one, not like Ace or True Value. I bet they have what you need. What about a nut/bolt supplier in the area? If the hardware store doesn't have them, ask them who their supplier is. What about grinding or cutting down a longer one to get to the 1/4" length? Not sure how you'd hold it while grinding or filing.
    I ended up grabbing a 3/8" length and using a nut as the spacer to make up the length, its now nice and tight with new screws that are not taper head. The car is running great after I adjusted the idle screws today, but they might still need some adjustment since they're at the base setting 6 turns out.

I saw in the factory manual, the wire I'm looking for is the 12P wire that connects to the 20W resistor wire that goes to the coil. The wire comes through the firewall under the dash as a 12 gauge Pink wire. I will hook the pertronix red wire up to that pink wire and call it a day. Not sure if the accel super coil is supposed to run on 12V also but it seems the directions say to bypass the resistor wire also. I could run both the coil and pertronix up on my 12V source and that seems to be the correct way to wire them if i'm reading correctly.

Update and conclusion:

Finally replaced the screws that held the Pertronix module to the breaker plate (8/32 x 1/4"). I also ran a new wire to run the Pertronix and Accel Super Coil on 12V and the car runs great. I also ended up replacing the spark plugs and inline fuel filter. Car accelerates with no hesitation and is smooth and strong throughout the RPM range.

chrisntam is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Deville Convertible

I had a quick laugh when you said "conclusion". I thought, there is never a conclusion with these cars!

But in reading your post, you are correct! Great to hear it's all working and working well!

chris.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisntam View Post
    I had a quick laugh when you said "conclusion". I thought, there is never a conclusion with these cars!

But in reading your post, you are correct! Great to hear it's all working and working well!

chris.
    haha ain't that the truth, really just on to the next thing. I'm glad to have the engine running the way it does, now I can focus on removing the vinyl top, fixing the back window rust/leaks and then onto the interior. I should be done sometime in 2018 haha.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.