Fleetwood Coupe 368 Advice
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Fleetwood Coupe 368 Advice in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; ...
    Spock is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Fleetwood Coupe 368 Advice

(This is a copied post from the fleetwood forum.)

I'm going to take a look at a coupe, and would like some advice please. The owner says it's a "Special Edition", I assume that means D'elegance. With 200k, leather (needs some repair) and some paint fixings it should be on its way.

But my questions are for those with experience or currently own the 368. Is it a reliable engine? How hard are parts to find? Is there any nuance of the drive train that is inherent? I've been accumulating spare parts for my 86 and 88 sedans, I assume that they are for the most part compatible (lights, mouldings). All that's different is really the drive train and that fact that it's a two door.

I've bought two caddy’s with the 307 knowing that replacement parts are still not that hard to hunt down. Even better are the 305's on a wagon and coupe. I'm just hoping I will not get myself into something that's going to be such a drain on resources. Darn it Jim I'm a weekend warrior not a rodeo clown...well I'm not!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Re: Fleetwood Coupe 368 Advice

Logic dictates that 200,000 is a pretty high number of miles. A vehicle like that needs to be very carefully looked over before purchase.

Spock is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Oh that would be in kilometres here in Canada eh! So miles would be 120k.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Sorry to assume that we are the center of the universe here down South.
    120k Miles is not too bad. Car specific quirks: Body fit is poor. Lots of irregular gaps this year. You can tell it isn't a BMW. Rear axle uses axle proper for bearing race. Axles wear down and rear brakes wear out prematurely. Eventually, gear oil pukes out past seal. Look for gear oil weepage on brake backing plate. 1980 had a bunch of stupid rattle and dopey water leak issues from not enough black goop around heater box. Brake boosters went west more than many other cars. Climate control electrical issues from 77/8/9 were pretty much fixed by then. Other than that everything is related to service or body shop related malpractice.

LaneWvr is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS
    Automobile(s): 81 Coupe DeVille 4/6/8

I had mine almost 2 months before it got stolen. It started running poorly and I ran codes. The codes that came up weren't listed in my book so I think the ecu is dead. Still runs okay, just misses sometimes.

The_Mortician is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Umm I'm at about the 150,000 mile mark on my '81 368. Granted it's carbed, but as of yet no engine dilemnas. My torque converter died and took the tranny with it just the other day. But aside from that I've only ever had to replace the starter and alternator, which were off the shelf items. And trust me I drive my car in all kinds of mannerisms, with no to very heavy loads, and in greatly varying temperatures, yay Kansas.

LaneWvr is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS
    Automobile(s): 81 Coupe DeVille 4/6/8

Quote Originally Posted by The_Mortician
    Umm I'm at about the 150,000 mile mark on my '81 368. Granted it's carbed, but as of yet no engine dilemnas. My torque converter died and took the tranny with it just the other day. But aside from that I've only ever had to replace the starter and alternator, which were off the shelf items. And trust me I drive my car in all kinds of mannerisms, with no to very heavy loads, and in greatly varying temperatures, yay Kansas.
    Where in Kansas? I live in KC!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.