Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Cadillac 500 Exhaust Manifolds

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  the APEMAN 
#1 ·
I have a 1972 Cadillac Eldorad with a 500 engine. I let it run for like 10 minutes in about 40 degrees weather and the exhaust manifolds turned red hot they actually glowed red! :mad: I believe the timing is okay and the rest of the engine seems to be operating at a normal temp. I was thinking maybe a clogged converter, but if anybody has any other idea what could be the problem, I would appreciate the input thanks.

#4 ·
How does the car run? First thing double check that your distributor advance weights are not binding. This could cause the initial timing to have been incorrectly set. Use the search feature of this board to find plenty on the subject. Next tree to bark up: once in a while you find double wall Y exhaust pipes on some cars. They were used to keep things quiet. They can collapse internally and creat a restriction. Hook a vacuum gauge directly to manifold vacuum. If the vacuum drops steadily with more throttle then you might have this problem. Last thing that I could think of would be a timing chain that is off one tooth. You would not have been able to set initial timing with this situation without pulling the distributor out and resetting it's position though.

#5 ·
Thanks for all the help. I just went out there a few days ago and I did notice the timing may be slightly off. I dont know why it started doing this. It never did this before and I hardly ever drive it, i may put around in it every once in awhile but other then that that no long drives. I do have an HEI distributor waiting to be installed and if it is a timing problem, do you think that would eliminate some of the problems or would it cause more problems? Any help would be appreciated thanks. :banghead:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.