1970 472 Freeze Plug?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 1970 472 Freeze Plug? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi Gang, I took my 70 Coupe Deville out tonight and got about a mile from home and my car ...
    Cristofo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Sedan De Ville, 1970 Cadillac Coupe De Ville

1970 472 Freeze Plug?

Hi Gang,

I took my 70 Coupe Deville out tonight and got about a mile from home and my car was overheating with smoke coming out of the engine towards the firewall.

I finally located exactly where the leak is coming from. If you look through the driver side front fender towards the back of the engine block, I believe I see a freeze plug there with a hole in it. I know the leak is coming from this hole but I couldn't see well enough to confirm.

Does anyone know if this is the expansion/freeze plug and how hard it would be to replace it? Ive been searching to find a picture of the engine block but haven't had much luck.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 1970 472 Freeze Plug?

I grabbed a brass plug that's specific to this engine and a rubber expansion size 1 3/4" Hopefully I can get to the plug without any major removal.

Finally got the new rubber expansion plug in there...I had to use the 1 5/8" - 1 3/4" size. I could not get the lip of the old freeze plug out of the block, so not sure how long this fix will last. The rear most plug on the driver side was the one that was rusted and a pain in the butt to access. I drove it for about an hour after I replaced the plug with no leaking so I think it should be good for now.

the APEMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1980 FBC

I tried rubber plugs in the past with poor results. Maybe use a much lower pressure radiator cap. Good luck!

chrisntam is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Deville Convertible

Good to hear you got it fixed! Being that it's a rubber plug and you couldn't get the old one completely out, I'd watch it closely for leakage and you may want to get a more permanent fix as time allows. I just don't know how long those rubber expandables are supposed to last. Was there any documentation provided with the plug from the manufacturer that speaks to that? If not, I'd call their customer service/tech support and find out what they recommend.

Thanks! I took it to my mechanic and he inspected and adjusted the expansion plug for me after I was done. Hasn't leaked and he seems to think its ok as is, so I'll leave it alone for now. I never take the car far but I do watch it like a hawk while driving to make sure nothing is screwed up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.