K&N Filters
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, K&N Filters in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; What do you think or has been your experience with K&N filters. Worth the money? Clog to easy? Great product? ...
    Sasquatch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

K&N Filters

What do you think or has been your experience with K&N filters. Worth the money? Clog to easy? Great product? Interested in what everyone thinks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

Re: K&N Filters

There is a lot of controversy with this topic. Some people think they let too much dirt into the engine.

Either way, I use them on a lot of my things including ATV's, etc and the Caddy. I think that it is a great product and definitly worth the money.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

I tend to think the gain in power is not worth the price. Not even close in my mind.

Kev
    Kev is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....

I have K&N's in my cars. Hard to tell any performance improvement but you will save money in the long run by not having to replace the filter. Unless you are using the $2 cheapies, then it will take much longer to see savings.

blue71eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Meh, I used to have a rough idle, I threw in a K&N and did absolutely nothing else and it evened out quite nicely. I'd definitely say they're worth it.

guidematic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 70, 90, 94 Fleetwood; 85, 88 Eldorado

They do increase power, but only at the top end and not so much you would feel it. They do last almost forever, though. That is where they are of benefit.

But, they have to be cleaned periodically. The recharger kit costs about $20 here in Canada, but you can clean your filter(s) several times with it.

I use one in my '70 with a smaller lid that allows as much air into the engine as it demands, and on my daily driver '85 Caprice also with a small cover. I am satisfied with them.

I have heard the rumblings about the K&N's allowing more dirt into the engine as well, but I have not found any studies that prove this, and any harm that results from it.

But, if you want to steer clear of the K7N, the AC/Delco filters offer a good compromise between fitering ability and air flow at a decent price.

Mike

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Quote Originally Posted by guidematic
    I have heard the rumblings about the K&N's allowing more dirt into the engine as well, but I have not found any studies that prove this, and any harm that results from it.
    Might want to search through the northstar section for that.

K&Ns won't do anything better than a properly sized paper filter. Just about zero gain on a northstar, maybe that's what's spoiled me to the whole idea of a K&N on any engine.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I swear by them and I've had the panal filters in two of my vehicles. I DEFINATELY noticed fuel saving on the HW, and a slight increase in power which I will gladly take. I started a gas mileage thread on K&N in the lounge a month or so ago that you might like to read......

They are fun to clean out too.

And they are a cool color! What more could you want?!

Quote Originally Posted by terrible one
    And they are a cool color! What more could you want?!

Isn't there a company that makes ugly green ones, LOL. I guess as long as they allow some fuel savings nowadays they will pay for themselves overtime hopefully.

Like those? lol

The company is Green Filters, imagine that. I know that there is another company that makes green filters though, I'm thinking it starts with an A...

Quote Originally Posted by terrible one

Like those? lol
    The company is Green Filters, imagine that. I know that there is another company that makes green filters though, I'm thinking it starts with an A...
    "Green" Now there's an original name LOL. Are you thinking of "Air Raid," I think they are orange or red like K&N's.

Yeah I'm familiar with Air Raid but thats not what I'm thinking of I knew of Green too but it just seems I read an article comparing different filters a while ago and there was a green filter on there but the company wasn't Green...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.