Help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Help in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 500 in my 55 Chevy Pick Up. Rebuilt it a few years ago and turned a 472 ...
    55 Chevy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Help

I have a 500 in my 55 Chevy Pick Up. Rebuilt it a few years ago and turned a 472 into a 500. Since then, I have found that we but the wrong pistons in. The engine came out of a 74 and was supposed to have 120 chamber heads, but had the smaller 72cc. Put on new larger chamber heads with bigger valves, stronger springs and new rocker set up. I also found that I had a flat lobe, so replaced the cam and lifters. I currently have a knocking noise that shows up when the engine is warm and get worse under load. Can't hear it while the engine is idling. I have thought that the timing was off for awhile, but shows right using the timing light. Right now I have it set at 10 deg. BTDC. It just doesn't seem to be right. The cam was installed straight up. I am pulling what hair I have left out. Love the engine, but would like it to run and perform like I know it can. It also has and Edlebrock intake, MSD ignition, but has stock exhaust, have headers, but can't get them to fit right now.

Help, is there an expert in Northern California? Or does anyone out there have any ideas on the two problems (knock and timing), maybe they are caused by the same thing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

100 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan De Ville (4.9 L)

Re: Help

Wrong piston etc -> higher compression -> knocking
    Am I correct?

Also why do you think 10 deg. BTDC is not right, any
    reason you think it is wrong??

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Well improper timing can result in knocking, but so can too high compression. Have you checked the compression?

55 Chevy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I corrected the high compression problem when I put the new set of heads on. Before the compression was 190-195, after putting on the new 120 cc heads it dropped to 130-135. The reason I think that the timing is off or something is still wrong is because of rough idle and a little run on when I shut it off. I was wondering if I had the wrong pointer & pulley when I swapped in the new 500 crank (it was originally a 472), but Chris over at Cad Company said it didn't matter. As long as the pointer and pulley came from the same engine I should be OK. I am going to double check and find TDC using the method of rotating the engine both directions with a bolt in the spark plug hole as a stop and splitting the difference. The funny part and what is confusing me is that it only knocks when the engine warm and only sometimes. I drove it 50 miles this morning and heard nothing. Last night going home (up hill) it knocked on and off all the way home. I am wondering if I don't have a lifter or cam problem again. I also have a water pump that is making a whine when warm, maybe this is my knock. Have a new one on the way. I hate these kind of problems and it seems that this engine has been full of them.

This is a great forum, I haven't found to many people who know much of anything about Cads.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Turn your timing back a bit and see if it cuts down the pinging at all. What's the octane rating of the gas you're using?

100 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan De Ville (4.9 L)

I am not sure if improper timing makes idle rough,
    unless it is wayyyy off and if so you will know from
    lacking a lot of power.

Well, how did you tune the amount of fuel put in
    the engine?? Since your engine is different from
    the original configuration, you may need slightly
    different pattern of fuel deliverly as you open the
    throttle.

Anyway, seems like your knocking is very slight.
    I think making mixture richer or retarding the timing
    a couple of degree would solve the problem...

Good luck!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.