100hp/liter out of a stroked 500?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 100hp/liter out of a stroked 500? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I was searching google for a big-bad-block cad stroker. Ive read something about a 526/529" kit, and a 570" kit. ...
    abcdefg is offline Cadillac Owners Member

100hp/liter out of a stroked 500?

I was searching google for a big-bad-block cad stroker. Ive read something about a 526/529" kit, and a 570" kit.

If the extra 70" stroker kit is not B.S., that means a 9.3L engine.

So, would it be possible to get 100hp/liter out of this setup without using nitrous oxide or forced induction, or without moving the power band up to where a honda 4 cylinder is at?

I know it would take some serious head work, a hot cam, and no funny buisness in the crank-case (forged/steel conrods).

Is this possible without nos/blower or am I just dreaming too much of my boat in the 1/4 mile?

they can squeak 425hp out of that northstar now, but I really dont feel comfortable seeing a 570" engine revving to 6400rpm to make its power, but if that is what has to be done...

I know this would be a project that I would have to literally shovel money into wheel-barrels to pay for the parts... but still, a 572 crate motor does over 600 without a blower. It cant be too crazy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Re: 100hp/liter out of a stroked 500?

They can squeeze 469hp out of a blown northstar now...

Anyway if you stroke the crank it weakens it. And it's expensive. So it's not worth it really unless you're going for a torque monster to put in some 4x4 or tow rig.

You can bore it out quite a ways though. 4.5" can be done with a block fill in an all-out, balls to the wall engine.

You'll see what is possible to do with a naturally aspirated engine once Potter rocks the Engine Masters Challenge in 2 weeks. 509ci is the limit for the EMC, which is a perfect displacement for a Cad. Potter has around $30k and an easy 1000 hours of work into his. Torque Inc is also doing an EMC engine on a slightly smaller budget that should put up a good showing. I didn't follow last year too closely, I know Potter and CadCo were there but both had problems and didn't do too great.

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

Dave, what is this EMC? Sounds really interesting.

Popular Hotrodding Magazine sponsors a competiton of that name. Basically you make an engine following their rules. 509ci or less this year, and a bunch of other rules. Then they dyno it and score it based on hp from 2500-6500 rpm. Potter will do exceedingly well. http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...hallenge/2005/

BluEyes is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1970 Sedan deVille hardtop

I really doubt you'll get 100hp/l out of any motor without having the redline up at 7000rpm or higher.
    Remember, HP=(torque*RPM)/5250. More RPM's equals more HP if you can get the airflow up there to still be making torque. The reason stock Caddy torque numbers are higher than the HP numbers is because the engine never got above 5250 rpm, the point at which HP=torque.

The problem is you're going to have a motor that will probably suck on the street. It'll have a huge cam, so no lowend torque, probably need race gas to run well, and forget about highway cruising at low RPM's, you're going to need DEEP reareend gears.

I wouldn't worry about the crank journals being thinner as long as the crank is a good alloy forging - NASCAR guys and some of the top drag racing classes are running Honda-spec rod journals. They're something like 1.8" - much smaller than any Caddy journal.

Just run a 9.3L monster, shift at 5-6K rpm with 10:1 compression and a reasonable cam. Your biggest problem will be traction anyways. That, and breaking the driveline!

Potter has around $30k
    And um... I wont have anywhere near that to spend. But Im sure I can do a lot better than what those fancy-pants 350s can pull off.

The powerband on it couldnt be a whole lot worse than those hot 350s.

I always see these 350s advertised as "500hp on pump gas" with no nos/blower. Yeah, their powerband is up there, but its not awfull.

The cadillac would probably fall flat on its face with the TH400/2.08:1 gears, but a 5spd auto with a lower rear end would be better... problem with that is, that will take a lot of money that I dont have.

I wont be doing anything to any cad motor for a few years (joined the airforce), but I should have some spending money to build one up when I get back.

Hell, even 500-600 brake hp would be enough. Im just looking to register some serious seat-of-the pants G forces in my caddy.

LaneWvr is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS
    Automobile(s): 81 Coupe DeVille 4/6/8

If your tring to go fast why not use a Chevy 502 big block?

Quote Originally Posted by LaneWvr
    If your tring to go fast why not use a Chevy 502 big block?
    Because that's more money for similar performance levels?

Whats special about the chevy 502 that the 500" cadillac doesnt offer? Dont forget the Caddo build-up article

For four grand, our 512-cube cad pumped out 514hp at 4,400rpm on the dyno. Torque? Try a healthy 575 Lb-Ft at 2,600rpm on for size

Here on google, the chevy 502 engine is even less power, 502hp @ 5,200rpm. Torque - 567 Ft-Lb @ 4200rpm. Price? $6,795.

I could go with that 572-inch engine it was that chevy made. But the powerband, and cost, puts this engine towards the bottom of my list.

Im looking to make a reliable high-horspower figure. Not a trailer-queen that needs rebuilding after every few runs down the track. I Hope the cadillac block can deliver this.

There wont be anything like having a hot 500" cadillac under the hood of my cadillac, while people still call it an old ladys car. Maybe I will get lucky, someone will say their civic is a more capable platform, and want to race for money?

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by abcdefg
    Whats special about the chevy 502 that the 500" cadillac doesnt offer? Dont forget the Caddo build-up article

For four grand, our 512-cube cad pumped out 514hp at 4,400rpm on the dyno. Torque? Try a healthy 575 Lb-Ft at 2,600rpm on for size

Here on google, the chevy 502 engine is even less power, 502hp @ 5,200rpm. Torque - 567 Ft-Lb @ 4200rpm. Price? $6,795.

I could go with that 572-inch engine it was that chevy made. But the powerband, and cost, puts this engine towards the bottom of my list.

Im looking to make a reliable high-horspower figure. Not a trailer-queen that needs rebuilding after every few runs down the track. I Hope the cadillac block can deliver this.

There wont be anything like having a hot 500" cadillac under the hood of my cadillac, while people still call it an old ladys car. Maybe I will get lucky, someone will say their civic is a more capable platform, and want to race for money?
    I'm not sure what you want to do with the car but if it's mainly for street, a mild cam, Edelbrock intake, some port work and bigger valves along with a stock bottom end will get you lots of power out of a Cad 500.

co11b is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood Brougham

Hey abcdefg,

where did you see that 570 kit?

Thanks,

Tim

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.